How to review multiple files using the same TM?
Thread poster: Rutger Cornets de Groot

Rutger Cornets de Groot  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 11, 2014

Hi,
This is probably common knowledge but I can't figure it out so I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I have 3 files that need reviewing, no TM. The 3 files are very similar, just the products are a little different, so there are some small differences. Now, I already reviewed the first file but I did not use a TM because it was delivered to me in Wordfast format, and I don't have a license. At that point, I didn't realize the other 2 files would be so similar. But since they're all quite long, I would like to use some kind of TM now, so that I can adapt the other 2 files accordingly. So, I need to either create a TM and populate it with the contents of the 1st file, or add the contents to an existing TM. My question is, how do I do that, and how do I run the other two files through that TM while still retaining the ability to account for the small differences between the files?
I hope I am making myself clear. Any help is much appreciated!
Best,
Rutger

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Alignement Nov 12, 2014

Hi Rutger,

Creating a TM from documents is an ALIGNEMENT job, you can use Trados Alignment if your trial allows it, otherwise there is a open-source aligner from Farkas Andras (I don't have the link, please google.)

After aligning and creating the corrisponding TM, review doc_1 after loading this TM. Update TM at the end. Then, review doc_2 with the same TM.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2014-11-12 00:43 GMT]

Rutger Cornets de Groot  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Used Update and Populate TM's instead Nov 12, 2014

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. However, I figured it out by myself after all. What I did was right-click the first file and select POPULATE MAIN TRANSLATION MEMORY as well as UPDATE MAIN TRANSLATION MEMORY and UPDATE PROJECT TRANSLATION MEMORIES. After that, the other files went by like a breeze.

By the way, I do have a license for Studio 2014, have been using Trados since 1998, just never came across this feature.

Thanks anyway,

Rutge

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Ah, then I've missed your point. Nov 12, 2014

Rutger,
good that you found a solution. My response assumed that one of your docs didn't include a translation.

Cheers,
Mike

[Edited at 2014-11-12 14:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to review multiple files using the same TM?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search