How to review multiple files using the same TM?
Thread poster: Rutger Cornets de Groot

Rutger Cornets de Groot  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 11, 2014

Hi,
This is probably common knowledge but I can't figure it out so I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I have 3 files that need reviewing, no TM. The 3 files are very similar, just the products are a little different, so there are some small differences. Now, I already reviewed the first file but I did not use a TM because it was delivered to me in Wordfast format, and I don't have a license. At that point, I didn't realize the other 2 files would be so similar. But since they're all quite long, I would like to use some kind of TM now, so that I can adapt the other 2 files accordingly. So, I need to either create a TM and populate it with the contents of the 1st file, or add the contents to an existing TM. My question is, how do I do that, and how do I run the other two files through that TM while still retaining the ability to account for the small differences between the files?
I hope I am making myself clear. Any help is much appreciated!
Best,
Rutger

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Alignement Nov 12, 2014

Hi Rutger,

Creating a TM from documents is an ALIGNEMENT job, you can use Trados Alignment if your trial allows it, otherwise there is a open-source aligner from Farkas Andras (I don't have the link, please google.)

After aligning and creating the corrisponding TM, review doc_1 after loading this TM. Update TM at the end. Then, review doc_2 with the same TM.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2014-11-12 00:43 GMT]

Rutger Cornets de Groot  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Used Update and Populate TM's instead Nov 12, 2014

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. However, I figured it out by myself after all. What I did was right-click the first file and select POPULATE MAIN TRANSLATION MEMORY as well as UPDATE MAIN TRANSLATION MEMORY and UPDATE PROJECT TRANSLATION MEMORIES. After that, the other files went by like a breeze.

By the way, I do have a license for Studio 2014, have been using Trados since 1998, just never came across this feature.

Thanks anyway,

Rutge

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Ah, then I've missed your point. Nov 12, 2014

Rutger,
good that you found a solution. My response assumed that one of your docs didn't include a translation.

Cheers,
Mike

[Edited at 2014-11-12 14:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to review multiple files using the same TM?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search