Trados & MS Word - how can I display the translation only?
Thread poster: Dover
Dover
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 20, 2004

Hello, I am terribly sorry for bothering you, but I am new to TRADOS and I have this problem: I have been translating and then all of a sudden my Word program opened a double way of viewing the text like it was already checking option. Now I have text opened in both languages. Tutorial said that the way to get rid of it is to do the Clean Up operation but the translation is not finished yet and it's too early to clean up. Could you please help me to understand what to do? Maybe I have opened this option and now all I have to do is to cancel this option? But I am sorry to say I don't know how. Thank you very much for your attention.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-20 14:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:33
English to German
+ ...
Toggle the display of non-printable characters Dec 20, 2004

Hi Dover,
I take it you activated the display of non-printable characters - presumably by clicking on the icon that looks like a "P" upside down. In fact, it's strongly recommended to work with this bilingual display, as you might inadvertently damage tags if you're not displaying them.

HTH, Ralf

mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Go to Tools in Word Dec 20, 2004

View, uncheck the option Hidden text.
Hope this helps you.

Dover
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 20, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Dover,
I take it you activated the display of non-printable characters - presumably by clicking on the icon that looks like a "P" upside down. In fact, it's strongly recommended to work with this bilingual display, as you might inadvertently damage tags if you're not displaying them.

HTH, Ralf

Thank you for replying - I think I did. And thank you for your suggestion. I think I will work this way from now on.
But I have a question: when I send this one to the customer - will they see it in the same way I do or not?

For now I am trying to find a way how to deactivate it. I don't see any "P" icon now. any idea how to do it?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cleanup Dec 20, 2004

Hi again,
But I have a question: when I send this one to the customer - will they see it in the same way I do or not?

That depends on what you agreed for delivery - if the customer needs pre-cleanup files, that will be fine. Otherwise you should cleanup the files before delivery. Have a look at the tutorials or the File Formats Reference Guide.

For now I am trying to find a way how to deactivate it. I don't see any "P" icon now. any idea how to do it?

That depends on your Word version - whenever you post a query, can you please make sure to quote full version info regarding the software used?

Thanks, Ralf

Dover
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again Dec 20, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

That depends on what you agreed for delivery - if the customer needs pre-cleanup files, that will be fine. Otherwise you should cleanup the files before delivery. Have a look at the tutorials or the File Formats Reference Guide.

That depends on your Word version - whenever you post a query, can you please make sure to quote full version info regarding the software used?

Thanks, Ralf

Thank you all again. I am not at home right now so as soon as I get back to my pc I will let you know, ok?
You don't know how much you helped me - I was in panic!

Dover
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Software Dec 21, 2004

I am using Microsoft Word 2002

I have found the upside down looking "P" character, but it does not make it back. It switches on all these "P" characters all over the page, but not deleting the text in original language.
I have contacted the customer and they said they do not need the cleanup so it is ok in this way, but for the future I think I will have to find some way to hide this. Tutorial only said about cleanup so they didn't help a lot.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Display of non-printable characters Dec 21, 2004

Hi again,
I have found the upside down looking "P" character, but it does not make it back. It switches on all these "P" characters all over the page, but not deleting the text in original language.

Deleting is not what you would want to do - to make the source text invisible, you need to deactivate the display of non-printable characters. If the 'reverse P' doesn't do the trick, chances are that hidden text has been activated separately. Go to Tools - Options - View; the switch for Hidden Text is in the second section.

Tutorial only said about cleanup so they didn't help a lot.

Which is not surprising at all, as this isn't a Trados function, but a very basic function of MS Word. Once again, it is strongly recommended to keep source and tags visible while working in the document.

Best regards,
Ralf

Dover
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked! Dec 21, 2004

Thank you very very much - it worked! I am learning day by day from this site! Thank you again. All my sincere best to you. Merry Christmas!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados & MS Word - how can I display the translation only?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search