Thread poster: Reinis Straume

Reinis Straume
Latvia
Local time: 03:44
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 13, 2014

Hello all,

I am in a world of trouble right now. A deadline in looming and I cannot get the translation in target format. Trados keeps showing the error "Mismatch in unique id". I've tried looking for similar posts and the solutions in them but my situation is a little more complicated. My source files are PDF.

Please, help!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
English
Your best bet... Nov 13, 2014

... with this file as PDFs are notorious for excessive tagging and problems in Studio, is to try this.

• Open the PDF again using the "Translate Single Document" command
  • Add your TM and pretranslate the file
  • Save the target immediately

If this doesn't work then take the DOCX that was created when you opened the PDF. You will find this in the same folder as a the PDF after using the Open Document approach. Clean the DOCX by removing the excessive tags (as explained by Emma Goldsmith) and then rrepeat the previous steps with the cleaned DOCX instead of the PDF.

If that still fails send me the PDF and your fully translated SDLXLIFF and I can try and recover the translation.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Reinis Straume
Latvia
Local time: 03:44
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Paul Nov 13, 2014

Hi, Paul,

Thank you for your suggestions (and the notification on Twitter). Much appreciated.

I have no idea how or why, but the first suggestion worked. I opened the very same PDF for translation, pretranslated it (well, actually, I had to confirm and move to next unconfirmed segment because Studio wouldn't pretranslate it during preparation and batch tasks are not available) and saved to target format straight away.

I have no idea how this differs from creating a project, having the bilingual files translated and then creating target files, but it works. Thank you again, Paul!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
English
No project. Nov 14, 2014

Reinis Straume wrote:

... I opened the very same PDF for translation, pretranslated it (well, actually, I had to confirm and move to next unconfirmed segment because Studio wouldn't pretranslate it during preparation and batch tasks are not available) and saved to target format straight away.

Hi Reinis,

Glad this worked. The reason batch tasks were not available is because you need to have a project for this. So when you use the single document approach you have to save the file first (Ctrl+s) and this automatically creates a single file project in the background. Then the batch tasks are available.

The reason this worked when the project didn't is because projects occasionally become corrupted as you work. I'm not sure why, but I think something happens in the file writing process over time, possibly interference from back up software, or antivirus... or maybe something else. But this does occasionally happen. So starting afresh like this often saves the day.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: cannot save target. Error: mismatch in unique ID

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search