missing comment reference start tag with initials AS and number : 18.
Thread poster: Geneviève Daloze
Geneviève Daloze
Geneviève Daloze  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 08:55
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2014

Hello!
Can anyone help with this issue? I have opened a Word document in Studio 2011 (a long file, full of tables and images) and when I try to to "Save Target as", I am not allowed to (although I have not started transalting it yet) - I get the above message: missing comment reference start tag with initials AS and number : 18. Writing to Word document not possible". I am glad I did this check BEFORE getting to the end of this long translation, so I am still able to try and fix the issue
... See more
Hello!
Can anyone help with this issue? I have opened a Word document in Studio 2011 (a long file, full of tables and images) and when I try to to "Save Target as", I am not allowed to (although I have not started transalting it yet) - I get the above message: missing comment reference start tag with initials AS and number : 18. Writing to Word document not possible". I am glad I did this check BEFORE getting to the end of this long translation, so I am still able to try and fix the issue on time!

I have run F8 (verify) but I only get messages related to the fact that the segments are left untranslated (normal, as I have not started the translation yet)

many thanks for any suggestion !
Best,
Geneviève
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps try... Nov 17, 2014

... unchecking the Extract comments text for translation checkbox in the Word filetype before you open the file. Maybe there is a faulty comments tag in the original file that is throwing Studio off when it tries to work with the text.

If that fails the only suggestion I have is to try and identify the part of the file that causes the problem and remove it prior to translation. To do this split the word file in half and then
... See more
... unchecking the Extract comments text for translation checkbox in the Word filetype before you open the file. Maybe there is a faulty comments tag in the original file that is throwing Studio off when it tries to work with the text.

If that fails the only suggestion I have is to try and identify the part of the file that causes the problem and remove it prior to translation. To do this split the word file in half and then open each half, saving to target immediately. When you see which half fails you split it again and repeat etc... etc.

It doesn't take very long, even with huge files, and once you find the problem you can remove it from the file and then translate successfully. Finally, if appropriate put the offending part back into the target file and finish it manually (if important and if you can find something to translate).

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Geneviève Daloze
Belgium
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
missing comment ref start tag-thanks Nov 18, 2014

Hi Paul
many thanks for your help. I did uncheck the box you mentioned but unfortunately it did not do the trick. Ill proceed as you suggested then, I am bound to find the guilty segment at some point - thank you so much for your help!!
Geneviève

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you get stuck... Nov 18, 2014

... feel free to send me a copy of the file and I'll be happy to take a look at it too.

Regards

Paul

Geneviève Daloze
Belgium
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FILE Nov 18, 2014

Hi Paul,

I tried to remove parts of the file, but then it is even worse because I get the message "error whilst trying to determine file type" or something of the sort, and the file closes!

could you possibly send me your email address ([email protected]), as I cannot send you an email via your profile? thank you so much!

best wishes,
Geneviève

Macià Falgàs i Planas
Macià Falgàs i Planas  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:55
English to Catalan
+ ...
This is the solution May 31, 2015

I had this problem today and after going through lots of threads on Proz about this same message, the only solution was:

This message actually occurs because of a comment inserted on Word and the "initials" it mentions are the initials of the Word user who inserted the comment. You just have to delete the comment and then re-translate again the file using your translation memory. This will work perfectly (at least for me).

Other people (in other threads) mentioned a pro
... See more
I had this problem today and after going through lots of threads on Proz about this same message, the only solution was:

This message actually occurs because of a comment inserted on Word and the "initials" it mentions are the initials of the Word user who inserted the comment. You just have to delete the comment and then re-translate again the file using your translation memory. This will work perfectly (at least for me).

Other people (in other threads) mentioned a problem of missing tags. It's not that, of course you can also have missing tags + this comment but they are separate problems.
Collapse

Gabriela Mejías

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

missing comment reference start tag with initials AS and number : 18.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »