How to share a large project between 2 translators with SDL Trados
Thread poster: Pennelope77
Pennelope77
Pennelope77
Local time: 10:16
English to French
Nov 17, 2014

Hi,
I have a large document to translate to share with a fellow translator (we both use Trados or Trados Studio) and I am looking for a way to share the translation memory efficiently, so we can both work with the latest version of the TM. Does any of you have experience with this situation, and how did you deal with the TM sharing. Thanks for your input.

Isabelle

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Studio Nov 17, 2014

You didn't say anything about geography, so I assume you are at different places and can't use a shared NAS.
If you both use studio, using dropbox to share a TM folder works reasonably well. You need to both install dropbox, share a folder and place two TM files in it. You set up Studio to update TM A and use TM B as a read-only reference, your colleage does the reverse. Dropbox constantly auto-updates TM B on your computer as your colleague adds their translations to it. You need to regul
... See more
You didn't say anything about geography, so I assume you are at different places and can't use a shared NAS.
If you both use studio, using dropbox to share a TM folder works reasonably well. You need to both install dropbox, share a folder and place two TM files in it. You set up Studio to update TM A and use TM B as a read-only reference, your colleage does the reverse. Dropbox constantly auto-updates TM B on your computer as your colleague adds their translations to it. You need to regularly close and restart studio to make sure that newly added segments are found, but that's much less hassle than exchanging and importing tmx files. The good thing is that everyone works with local copies all the time, which is much quicker than any sort of online lookup I've ever used.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Another interesting way... Nov 17, 2014

... might be to use MemSource for the TM and then use the MemSource plugin for Studio that will allow you both to connect to the same TM and work with it at the same time.

Regards

... See more
... might be to use MemSource for the TM and then use the MemSource plugin for Studio that will allow you both to connect to the same TM and work with it at the same time.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Pennelope77
Pennelope77
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
TM in Dropbox Nov 17, 2014

I like the Dropbox idea (we are geographically remote from each other). What would be the procedure to generate the final TM (that includes both translators' work)? Would I use the Import option in the Translation Memory view and import the other translator's TM file into my TM?
Thank you for your help

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
Finnish to French
MemSource Nov 18, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
Paul

Sounds interesting! Would both translators share a single MemSource account? Would that work with a free ("Personal") account?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
Finnish to French
Update via SDLXLIFF Nov 18, 2014

Pennelope77 wrote:
What would be the procedure to generate the final TM (that includes both translators' work)?

Why not use the final version of both translators' SDLXLIFF files and send their content to a new TM?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No, it's a 1+ Freelancers Edition Nov 18, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

SDL Support wrote:
Paul

Sounds interesting! Would both translators share a single MemSource account? Would that work with a free ("Personal") account?

Hi Dominique,

This is a special edition where each translator needs to have their own account. This specific question seems to be answered here.

You can find more info in these two articles that might be helpful:

Freelancer Edition Q&A

MemSource Editions Wiki: 1+Freelancers

Regards

Paul

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 15:16
English to Vietnamese
Teamviewer VPN Nov 18, 2014

...or you can use Teamviewer VPN feature.

1. It's free for personal use.
2. It's easy to config.
3. It's easy to use.

Download and install Teamviewer, go to menu Extras->Options->Advanced and install VPN.

Ask your friend/partner to do the same.

Ask your friend for his/her Teamviewer ID and pass and ch
... See more
...or you can use Teamviewer VPN feature.

1. It's free for personal use.
2. It's easy to config.
3. It's easy to use.

Download and install Teamviewer, go to menu Extras->Options->Advanced and install VPN.

Ask your friend/partner to do the same.

Ask your friend for his/her Teamviewer ID and pass and choose VPN option to connect.

Now you can share your IP, files as if you were connected to the same LAN.

[Edited at 2014-11-18 06:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-18 06:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-18 06:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-18 06:46 GMT]
Collapse

Pennelope77
Pennelope77
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About TeamViewer Nov 18, 2014

Hi, I want to thank everyone for their input.

To linhdan, Regarding the use of a TeamViewer VPN, would both translators be able to work with the same Translation Memory ? or would it be similar to the Dropbox approach suggested by FarkasAndras?

Regards,
Isabelle

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
English to Italian
Info Nov 18, 2014

Also ... we have just started to offer a Cloud version of GroupShare.
It is really for 3-5 translators with prices from €200 per month for a minimum of 6 months. Could that be a possibility?

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
That's possible Nov 18, 2014

Pennelope77 wrote:

Hi, I want to thank everyone for their input.

To linhdan, Regarding the use of a TeamViewer VPN, would both translators be able to work with the same Translation Memory ? or would it be similar to the Dropbox approach suggested by FarkasAndras?

Regards,
Isabelle

Much better than Dropbox approach, IMHO because you can update the TM "interactively"

Details: http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=2550#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:2550

Pennelope77
Pennelope77
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Both translators on one single TM? Nov 18, 2014

So linhdan, if I understand well, both translators are connected to the same TM simultaneously through the VPN? Thanks.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why complicate things? Nov 18, 2014

Using TeamViewer or similar solutions seems a hell of a lot more complicated than dropbox, google drive or similar simple file/folder sharing methods, for no benefit that I can see. You end up with auto-synced files just the same, and I can't think of any reason why Studio would react to them any differently. I.e. you get the same result, it just takes more fiddling to get there. If somebody has tested several of these solutions and compared them, let us know if there is any difference (i.e. is ... See more
Using TeamViewer or similar solutions seems a hell of a lot more complicated than dropbox, google drive or similar simple file/folder sharing methods, for no benefit that I can see. You end up with auto-synced files just the same, and I can't think of any reason why Studio would react to them any differently. I.e. you get the same result, it just takes more fiddling to get there. If somebody has tested several of these solutions and compared them, let us know if there is any difference (i.e. is there a simple remote sync solution that doesn't require restarting Studio to see the newest TM entries?)

Memsource seems interesting, but as I noted above, I much prefer offline TM lookups. Online lookups tend to be too slow, especially if your internet connection is iffy. Some translators might also have confidentiality concerns.

6x200EUR for groupshare sounds ridiculously expensive to me when we're talking about freelancer collaboration. There's also the speed issue mentioned above.
Collapse

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
TV vs DB Nov 18, 2014

@: FarkasAndras

Seriously, I would not do this all the time
...You set up Studio to update TM A and use TM B as a read-only reference, your colleage does the reverse. Dropbox constantly auto-updates TM B on your computer as your colleague adds their translations to it. You need to regularly close and restart studio to make sure that newly added segments are found...

With TV solution you can use one TM at the same time.

BTW it takes
... See more
@: FarkasAndras

Seriously, I would not do this all the time
...You set up Studio to update TM A and use TM B as a read-only reference, your colleage does the reverse. Dropbox constantly auto-updates TM B on your computer as your colleague adds their translations to it. You need to regularly close and restart studio to make sure that newly added segments are found...

With TV solution you can use one TM at the same time.

BTW it takes much less time to download, install, and config TV than DB.

Agree:

6x200EUR for groupshare sounds ridiculously expensive to me when we're talking about freelancer collaboration. There's also the speed issue mentioned above.

[Edited at 2014-11-18 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
English to Italian
I know... Nov 18, 2014

Hi, The offering we have in the cloud now is mainly for LSPs and Corporations ... so I understand the price is not ideal.

However, I would really like to have some feedback on what could appeal to freelancers.
Is there a monthly price point that you would be interesting for you to seamlessly share TMs and Projects online? Feel free to message me directly with your thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Massi

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to share a large project between 2 translators with SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »