Why does Studio 2014 throw "additional space" errors?
Thread poster: Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nov 17, 2014

I am using SDL Studio 2014 to translate some Japanese IDT files supplied by the client. On verification, some segments throw a "Additional space after tag pair start tag" error.

Apparently the PM to whom I returned the finished IDT file was able to "fix" these segments by adding a space, using SDL Edit 2007. I've spent quite some time on the forums researching this and I still don't understand two fairly basic issues.

(a) Why does Studio generate the error? There are no spaces in the source text because it is in Japanese and that language does not use spaces as a matter of course. There are, of course, spaces in the translated English target text. Double-clicking on the message takes me to the problematic segment and highlights the offending space, as per the screen shot below (apologies for the redaction - I am under NDA). This space looks legitimate to me so why is Studio objecting to this one space?

(b) How can I fix the error? I know I can adjust the severity of the response in Options/Tag Check but I want to be able to resolve these messages (there are dozens) before this file is sent back to the client. I tried deleting the highlighted space, but that did not resolve the error.

I would be happy to hear from more experienced Studio users on this matter.

Dan

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
English
The first thing I would do... Nov 17, 2014

... is turn on Show whitespace characters and then you can count the dots to see for sure where the spaces are. This makes it easier.

The next thing is that if you are not interested in these kind of errors then just turn them off. In the current version of Studio you have you will need to go to the filetype settings for your source filetype and under Tag Check just disable checking for spaces around tags.

In Studio 2014 SP2 which should be released tomorrow the tag verification settings are all in the verification settings so you only have to make the change in one place for all filetypes.

Regards

Paul

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
If turning it off has no wider implications, good Nov 17, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
The next thing is that if you are not interested in these kind of errors then just turn them off.

Thanks Paul, I will try your suggestions. Because this is both turned on by default AND set to "error" by default, I was concerned that turning this off would have some subtly negative side effects. If there are none, that's fine by me.

Am I right to suppose that if I turn them off the client will not encounter errors in the exported ITD files?

Regards
Dan

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
English
Whether it has implications or not.... Nov 17, 2014

... probably depends on the original source file. But ITD is notoriously inflexible in my experience so I'd be inclined to be as faithful as I could. There are others here in ProZ who could probably comment on this as they have a vast amount of ITD experience, but if it was me I'd play it safe.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does Studio 2014 throw "additional space" errors?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search