Thread poster: Marie-Céline GEORG

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:23
English to French
+ ...
Dec 21, 2004

Hi all,
I'am translating a Word file in XP using Trados 6.5.5. This file has a special customer template that I don't have, but it doesn't prevent me from seeing the file with all its styles and layout correctly although I don't have all the corresponding fonts.
When I clean the file with TW, the cleaned file has the "Normal" template and most of the styles are not displayed correctly, the fonts are converted. Is it normal Trados behavior?
Should I worry that the customer gets a wrong file or do they just have to reapply the template for it to be correctly formatted?
Can I avoid this template issue by asking the customer for it? The template name displayed in the original text shows the whole access path, is it a problem?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Marie-Céline

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-22 10:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word issue Dec 21, 2004

Hi Marie-Céline,
I'am translating a Word file in XP using Trados 6.5.5. This file has a special customer template that I don't have, but it doesn't prevent me from seeing the file with all its styles and layout correctly although I don't have all the corresponding fonts.

Probably not - Word uses proxy fonts for those which are not installed.

When I clean the file with TW, the cleaned file has the "Normal" template and most of the styles are not displayed correctly, the fonts are converted. Is it normal Trados behavior?

Not really - it's normal Word behaviour...
Given that the cleanup process involves storing the file as RTF and re-storing it as .doc, Word is unable to retrieve the proper formatting without the template.

Should I worry that the customer gets a wrong file or do they just have to reapply the template for it to be correctly formatted?

Theoretically, this should work - but you're not able to identify any formatting problems.

Can I avoid this template issue by asking the customer for it?

Yes.

The template name displayed in the original text shows the whole access path, is it a problem?

Word cannot find the template (with or without the path), and hence uses normal.dot.

HTH, Ralf

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word template and fonts Dec 21, 2004

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:
Hi Ralf,
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Probably not - Word uses proxy fonts for those which are not installed.
Given that the cleanup process involves storing the file as RTF and re-storing it as .doc, Word is unable to retrieve the proper formatting without the template.

If I understand you well, I will again be able to see the fonts in the cleaned file if I have the template in my system because Word will now what to retrieve when the file is converted back from rtf, including the correct "proxy" fonts. That will be great for proofreading

Marie-Céline

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That should work Dec 21, 2004

A bit difficult to say without seeing the files, but...

If I understand you well, I will again be able to see the fonts in the cleaned file if I have the template in my system because Word will now what to retrieve when the file is converted back from rtf, including the correct "proxy" fonts.

...yes, that should work.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5.5, Word XP and templates

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search