Trados Studio 2014 Freelance newby with a mac
Thread poster: LaLeona
LaLeona  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 19, 2014

My workhorse is a 2010 macbook pro, (8 GB), running Yosemite.
I successfully use some Windows programs through Windows 7 - 64 bit- installed in Parallels. It has worked very smoothly.
I just downloaded Trados Studio 2014 Freelance the other day (& SP2 yesterday). I'm trying to learn it from the video tutorials. (And I'm signed up for an upcoming intro class/webinar.)
I have run into a dead end though with the Multiterm convertor. I don't know whether it's an issue because I am using Mac & the termbase file I am trying to access is housed in Mac or whether I'm missing a step somewhere, perhaps in the creation of the file name in Multiterm.
I use Microsoft Office 2011 (for mac). Always before I have been able to copy/paste back & forth from Excel or Word on the mac side to whatever I'm doing on Windows. I do not have Microsoft Office on Windows. Maybe this is a stupid question, but do I need it? I tried storing the file in iCloud since I can access my iCloud on the Windows side, but I still get the "The conversion option could not be initialized properly. Microsoft Excel cannot be started. Verify if it is installed on this machine."
What do other people with a mac do?
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
Finnish to French
Keep files inside the VM Nov 19, 2014

LaLeona wrote:
I have run into a dead end though with the Multiterm convertor. I don't know whether it's an issue because I am using Mac & the termbase file I am trying to access is housed in Mac or whether I'm missing a step somewhere, perhaps in the creation of the file name in Multiterm.

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to keep the data of your Windows applications inside the virtual machine, rather than on the shared drives Parallels gives you access to. At least, it's the recommendation for memoQ:
https://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00224/0/memoQ-on-Mac.html

I assume the same would be true with Trados Studio and MultiTerm.
LaLeona wrote:
I do not have Microsoft Office on Windows. Maybe this is a stupid question, but do I need it?

If Trados is going to use MS Office (for instance, its spellchecker), it will have to be the Windows version of it. Trados won't be able to "talk" to the copy of Office 2011 you have installed on the Mac side. The same would apply to any other Windows-based CAT tool you would install inside your virtual machine.

As you probably know, there are several CAT tools (usually Java-based) that run natively in OS X.

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:20
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@LaLeona: Nov 19, 2014

At the risk of veering off topic, you could also try CafeTran, which runs natively on OS X as it's a Java program. And runs very well, I might add.

Michael

See: http://www.cafetran.com/

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Some suggestions Nov 19, 2014

As Dominique said, although Parallels offers a seamless user experience, under the hood the two operating systems are completely separated and you must have all needed resources installed locally for softwares to work.

As a general recommendation I would add that if one uses a Windows-centric workflow, it is generally a better idea to run Windows as the operating system instead of using virtual machines. A more reliable approach, in my opinion.

Some suggestions:
1. Get Office 365 - you can install it on all supported platforms.
2. Download Excel Viewer, it might include the core components that are required. If not, you can download Office 2010 Starter edition which is likely to include all the necessary components (the latter is a bit in the legal Grey area, but deep enough to be considered a legitimate use).
3. Download and install the Glossary Converter app (I would recommend to try this first). Even if converting from XLS/XLSX won't work, you could always first save the file as TXT or CSV on MacOS and then convert it into a termbase via the Glossary Converter app in Windows. The glossary app is generally what I would advise you to use anyway instead of MultiTerm convert. For more details about the Glossary Converter and to see it in action: The Glossary Addons: (almost) The Missing Terminology Link.

@Michael
If MS are serious about following through with making .Net open source and cross-platform, it might turn out to be a more reliable option for cross-platform compatibility than Java at its current state. I'm really curious to see where this leads.

[Edited at 2014-11-19 17:53 GMT]

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:20
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Shai: Nov 19, 2014

Interesting news re .Net going open source + cross-platform. Hadn't heard that yet. Yes, I wonder what that will mean in the long run (for CafeTran, e.g.).

Michael

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Open source .Net Nov 19, 2014

There is a lot of information on the web (although it mostly repeats itself because the announcement is still very new and nothing has happened yet), but you can get a good overview here.

Very (very) interesting and could open a new world of cross-platform opportunities.

[Edited at 2014-11-19 19:24 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Link? Nov 19, 2014

Shai Navé wrote:
There is a lot of information on the web (although it mostly repeats itself because the announcement is still very new and nothing has happened yet), but you can get a good overview here.

Your link doesn't work, it should be:

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/net-visual-studio-microsoft-open-source-cross-platform/

also:

http://opensource.com/business/14/11/microsoft-dot-net-empower-open-source-communities

Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:20
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Bootcamp Nov 19, 2014

I run windows, office (for windows) and studio 2011 on a partition in bootcamp.

This is the solution I arrived at once I had officially spent "too much time" looking at other options.

Happy to elaborate on the bootcamp setup. Not versed in Parallels.

*In any case, copying and pasting back and forth sounds laborious. Time is money and translation software should (amongst other things) save you both.

[Edited at 2014-11-19 23:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 Freelance newby with a mac

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search