Focus in concordance: small, annoying thing
Thread poster: Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:36
Polish to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2004

I usually work like this: the screen is split into about 20% for Trados Workbench, and 80% for Word.

Now, when it comes to using the concordancer, I Alt-tab from Word to Workbench, and press F3. I enter a term, and scroll the concordance window if the results are plenty.

But the second time I switch to Workbench, the concordancer is already there, but the focus is on the results window, not the entry field. So, to enter a new term I need to click the entry form
... See more
I usually work like this: the screen is split into about 20% for Trados Workbench, and 80% for Word.

Now, when it comes to using the concordancer, I Alt-tab from Word to Workbench, and press F3. I enter a term, and scroll the concordance window if the results are plenty.

But the second time I switch to Workbench, the concordancer is already there, but the focus is on the results window, not the entry field. So, to enter a new term I need to click the entry form to get focus.

Some may be surprised, but this need for one click is very annoying. I do everything using keyboard, and I'm very fast at that. The only two things that need reaching for the mouse (or the touchpad) when working in Word+Workbench are getting the focus to the entry field, and scrolling the concordance results.

Does anyone know how to comfortably get around this using the keyboard? (Trados version: 6.5.5.438 (Build 439). Thanks.
Collapse

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Search from Word Dec 22, 2004

HTH: start your search from Word, just highlight the word or the phrase and then press ALT+Arrow UP. This starts the concordance search, and you do not have to use the entry form.

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! (but other suggestions welcome, too) Dec 22, 2004

Daniel Meier wrote:

HTH: start your search from Word, just highlight the word or the phrase and then press ALT+Arrow UP. This starts the concordance search, and you do not have to use the entry form.

Great! It works, and shame on me I'd missed this one while reading manuals. Thank you.

However, I would still like to know if there is any way to move around the concordancer without a mouse -- there will be many situations, where I will need to switch to the concordancer anyway. E.g. when the source segment goes around "account of the 'checking' type" (which is the actual segment I am looking at now ), what I want to check in the concordancer is only the "checking account" phrase, and here even Daniel's convenient shortcut won't help.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:36
English to German
+ ...
Alt-C, F3 Dec 22, 2004

Adam Podstawczynski wrote:

Thanks for the F3 shortcut, I only knew Alt+Up.

A workaround would be to close the concordance window with Alt+C before hitting F3.

You could also close it via Esc, but this only works as long as the cursor is not in the results list, yet.

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Alt-C workaround works "in production" ;) Dec 22, 2004

Thank you, Harry_B, I've tested this on several searches, and it seems this one additional keystroke is something I can get used to (and definitely much better than looking for the mouse pointer every time).

BTW, I think the following feature request to Trados would be reasonable, wouldn't it?

1) In concordancer, focus should ALWAYS remain on the entry field, regardless of scrolling the results window.
2) There should be two simple keys for scrolling the results w
... See more
Thank you, Harry_B, I've tested this on several searches, and it seems this one additional keystroke is something I can get used to (and definitely much better than looking for the mouse pointer every time).

BTW, I think the following feature request to Trados would be reasonable, wouldn't it?

1) In concordancer, focus should ALWAYS remain on the entry field, regardless of scrolling the results window.
2) There should be two simple keys for scrolling the results window up and down, e.g. Space/Backspace for Up/Down. Still, the focus should remain in the entry field.

Now I need to find where to post these feature requests on the Trados.com site.

Thank you Daniel and Harry,
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:36
English to German
+ ...
good luck with your feature request :-) Dec 22, 2004

Adam Podstawczynski wrote:
2) There should be two simple keys for scrolling the results window up and down, e.g. Space/Backspace for Up/Down. Still, the focus should remain in the entry field.

Maybe a skillful programmer could implement this, but usually 1) would mean that you could not select and copy anything anymore from the results list.

But it should be possible to set the focus to the entry field everytime the concordance window gets the focus.

About 2): When the focus is in the results list, you can scroll it with Up, Down, PgUp, PgDown, already. The bug is, that you cannot switch between the results list and the entry field using Tab and Shift Tab or Ctrl Tab, as usual.

[Edited at 2004-12-22 13:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Focus in concordance: small, annoying thing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »