Can I delete target segment text leaving only tags?
Thread poster: Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nov 21, 2014

As described in this thread I am working with an ugly document full of tags. The document is from the end client and cannot be changed but I am exploring ways of reducing the pain of such tag soup files.

One recurrent inconvenience is that the tags make it difficult to edit the text. I know that I can't delete the tags in the target segment without creating major problems, but is it possible to do the opposite? Can I delete all the text in the target segment in one fell swoop?

Thanks
Dan

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl + Alt + d? Nov 23, 2014

Can I delete all the text in the target segment in one fell swoop?

To put it another way, I know I can delete all text from the cursor to the next tag with Ctrl + Shift + d, which is useful. What I am looking for is a similar function that keeps on deleting text, while leaving tags untouched, all the way up to the end of the segment. Ctrl + d is not what I'm looking for because it zaps tags. Is there an existing command that I could reuse?

Thanks
Dan

Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 15:56
Member (2014)
English to Vietnamese
Copy all tags Nov 24, 2014

Hi Dan,

What a shame that nobody from SDL answers your question.

I suppose that you want to copy all tags but text from a source segment to the target segment.
If this is what you meaned then there is no command to do this in trados studio 2009-2014SP2.

More info: memoQ has integreated the feature for ages (Alt+F8).

Linh Dan

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Pity Nov 24, 2014

linhdan wrote:
If this is what you meaned then there is no command to do this in trados studio 2009-2014SP2.

Thanks for this, perhaps the SDK would allow implementation... I will look into it some time.

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I delete target segment text leaving only tags?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search