Thread poster: Carolin Winterholler

Carolin Winterholler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:20
English to German
+ ...
Dec 2, 2014

Hi everybody,

I have to admit I am a newbie to Trados and I am still very confused with all the different file types.

I got a .xml file as well as a .txt file from a client to use it with Trados Studio as a Termbase. I searched the web to find out how this should work but could only find the process on how to create a Termbase with a .xml file and a .xdt file (which I don´t have). So my problem is very simple: How can I use this .xml file together with Trados Studio 2014?

Any help/hint/link would be much appreciated

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What is the xml file? Dec 2, 2014

Hi Carolin,

If it's a multiterm xml file then you might be able to convert this directly without the xdt using the Glossary Converter.

Normally you need the xdt to create the termbase in multiterm as this sets up the appropriate definition for the xml to fit into. But the Glossary Converter has a unique ability to try and extract the definition from the multiterm xml and create the termbase on the basis of this alone. It's not foolproof, but it will get you a termbase on the basis of what's in the xml alone.

But if it's not a multiterm xml then it would help to know what these files contain (the xml and the text).

Regards

Paul

Carolin Winterholler  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm Online Glossary and Export Log File Dec 2, 2014

Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I tried to use the Glossary Converter and it saves .mtf and .mdf files from the various languages in the .xml file.

For example:

xxx-German.mtf
xxx-German.mdf

xxx-Swedish.mtf
xxx-Swedish.mdf

and so on.

The .xml file is the export of an Multiterm Online Glossary and the .txt file is an export log file:

Export log information

General information:
Export definition:
Termbase name:
Export file:
Export log file:
Sorted by entry number
Export type: Complete

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can I see... Dec 2, 2014

... the xml file?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create Termbase from XML file

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search