Thread poster: Peter Motte

Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 08:00
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 3, 2014

Did somebody succeed in installing SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2 under Windows XP SP3?
Did the program work afterwards, or did you encounter problems of some kind?
I haven't done it yet.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:00
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2 with Windows XP SP3 Dec 4, 2014

Hi Peter,

This is Steve from SDL.

It is indeed possible to install Studio 2014 on XP SP3- earlier SP's will not work.
However please note that Microsoft no longer support XP, so if there are any problems, support/help will be quite limited to what is either in our knowledge base or what can be found online.
Officially SDL no longer supports XP installation as MS have ceased all support.
If you are considering upgrading, Windows 7 has proven to very reliable and is much better value that Windows 8.1

Kind regards

Steve

Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 4, 2014

Thank you.

I have Windows 7 too, but there are some issues with it regarding dictionnaries, not with SDL products.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:00
Member (2008)
French to English
Windows versions Dec 4, 2014

SDL_Steve wrote:

If you are considering upgrading, Windows 7 has proven to very reliable and is much better value that Windows 8.1

Kind regards

Steve

Interesting, could you say why you find this? I have both Windows 7 and 8 and was wondering whether I should be moving my 8 to 8.1

Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Professionals don't choose W8.x Dec 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Fossey,

Your questions surprises me.
It's a general known fact that professional Windows users prefer to stick to Windows 7, because they want to avoid the problems Windows 8.x givces.
The user interface has been changed drastically, without giving any benefits for people using notebook or desktop computers.
Actually, in W8.1 MS brought back some W7 features they had dropped in W8.0, but even that has not been enough.
Because of that reluctance of professional users, companiers producting software also don't feel to make huge investments to adapt their software and/or hardware to W8.x

On a side note:
I have been using Windows Me, W XP SP3 and W7, and I can tell you that switching to even W7 feels like a disappointment.
Three of my major technical dictionnaries don't really work under W7, although I think there is a way around. Even if the way around works, it does mean extra hassle to get them up and running.
My addressbook on W Me counts over 7000 address in more then 100 groups, and the Contacts map in W 7 does not import the groups, only the addresses themselves. That means a huge loss in the classification of my information. It's really hard to understand how an information company like MS is so bad at preserving information, that you're actually loosing information when you upgrade to a new system.

There will of course be people who argue that you are a conservative if you don't want to upgrade to the latest system.
But the fact is that MS is increasingly leaving itc clients down since W XP (when they introduced the activation codes).
That lead to a general mistrust of the company, and to a lack of trust in the reliability of their products.

[Edited at 2014-12-04 18:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2 with Windows XP SP3

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search