Total target text character count minus repetitions
Thread poster: xxxmatesasd
xxxmatesasd
Czech Republic
Dec 6, 2014

Hello,
I finished working on a project in Trados Studio 2011 and now I'm looking for a way to show the amount of target text characters divided into repetitions, matches and no matches. There is an "Analysis Statistics" tab in "Files view" which shows all this information, but only for source text. Can it be set to show target text analysis instead? I don't see a reason why this function is not implemented. I want to charge my client for no-match and fuzzy-match translation only. Thanks for any advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
English
Not possible... Dec 6, 2014

... I'm afraid, at least not with a feature in Studio.

I guess you could create a little workaround by saving the target files and then analysing them against an empty TM. This will give you the character counts you wanted, and if you were to lock all the repetitions and redo then the count won't need any maths.

If you have Studio 2014 you could use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit to find all repetitions across the Project and lock them in one go.

Regards

Paul

xxxmatesasd
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 7, 2014

thank you for the reply, although I don't understand why such complex software is missing a basic function like this

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
English
I'm not sure... Dec 7, 2014

... this is a basic function. It may be possible to provide it but I don't think it's very common to base payment on the target count as things are usually agreed beforehand based on the source so that both the translator and the client have an idea of the cost. So if you know that your target translation normally increases the character count by 10% (for example) then you should allow for this in your rates.

Having said this, maybe it would make an interesting plugin via the OpenExchange if lots of people reply to this thread and confirm they also get paid this way.

Another alternative is to use something like Post-Edit Compare which is an application already available on the OpenExchange. This allows you to compare your baseline projects with another version. So your finished translation for example. You can then get an automated report, with rates if you like, showing how much work you actually had to do. This in effect would provide you with what you want.
You can find this here : http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/post-editcompare-495.html#48301

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Total target text character count minus repetitions

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search