Studio 2014 Robohelp condtional tags
Thread poster: philwhite
philwhite
Local time: 15:50
German to English
Dec 8, 2014

RoboHelp XHTML can include conditional tags. They look like this:
< ?rh-cbt_start condition="ConditionName" ?>Conditional text goes here<?rh-cbt_end ?>

These are interpreted as internal tags, which is fine, but are suppressed at the beginning and end of segments. Thus, a German text:
<?rh-cbt_start condition="Product1" ?>Some product name<?rh-cbt_end ?><?rh-cbt_start condition="Product2" ?>Some other product name<?rh-cbt_end ?> starten

is offered as

Some product name<?rh-cbt_end ?><?rh-cbt_start condition="Product2" ?>Some other product name<?rh-cbt_end ?> starten

In other words, the leading tag is suppressed. However, the English requires that the order is reversed, and hence we need the initial tag to be in the segment, so that we can write

Start <?rh-cbt_start condition="Product1" ?>Some product name<?rh-cbt_end ?><?rh-cbt_start condition="Product2" ?>Some other product name<?rh-cbt_end ?>

It is not possible to add the tags to the file type definition explicitly, as the question mark is not permitted.

Neither does it make any sense to show all content in the editor and lift the tag out from between segments, as this would cause huge problems with subsequent translations.

Of course, for this relatively simple example we can duplicate the text that should be outside the conditions to solve the issue:
Start Some product name<?rh-cbt_end ?><?rh-cbt_start condition="Product2" ?>Start Some other product name<?rh-cbt_end ?>
But this becomes harder with more complex sentences, especially if we have a missing closing tag as well.

Can anyone see a way of forcing such tags always to be internal to a segment?

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDITED: Trying to restore the code

[Edited at 2014-12-08 18:37 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Code is missing again Dec 8, 2014

Again, the code I entered has all been stripped out from my original post, so I cannot explain the problem.

Astrid_H  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
get source htm files rather than whole code? Dec 9, 2014

Hi Phil,

I assume you're talking about Robohelp 10 or 11, which I can't comment on from experience. I used it up to 8 and then happily switched to Madcap Flare for writing. Never going back if I can avoid it!

It might be different with Robohelp, but as the translator, you should not need to see the code at all, only tags, and the code should be changed automatically. I can imagine how horrible translating is within the code!

Are you sure you were given the source files (htm) and not the output?
Besides better legibility this has the advantage that it will save lots of cost and time over the years when updates are necessary, as only the htm-files (topics) with changed content need to be translated and not the whole lot imported into Trados.
I just opened an htm file (from Flare, however) in Trados to make sure I was writing sense and all I see are the standard graphic tags, no code.

If this is not the problem, if you are a member of LinkedIn, you may want to join a Technical Writer group, there are lots of helpful professionals who use Robohelp on a daily basis and will be able to quickly help with the problem.

Best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 Robohelp condtional tags

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search