Bug report: RTF import filter produces invalid XML character
Thread poster: sesc

sesc
Sweden
Local time: 11:38
Dec 9, 2014

I would like to report a bug (IMHO) in the Trados Studio 2014 (SP1 & SP2) import filter for Rich Text Format.

We have a source RTF document containing the string "shown in Table\~3\_2"
Inside Trados this becomes "shown in Table 32" [with a protected space after Table, but that's not relevant]. The problem is that character 1E is not valid in XML 1.0 (neither as a character nor as an entity).

Therefore both exporting for review (which writes to XML inside docx) and manually building an XML via System.Xml in a plugin raise exceptions with the message "hexadecimal value 0x1E, is an invalid character".
I was able to make our plugin more robust; for being able to export, I had to manually edit the sdlxliff file and search & replace the offending entities.

I would argue that, apart from being invalid XML (at least 1.0), an ASCII "Record separator" 1E is an unlucky choice for what obviously is meant to be a non-breaking hyphen in RTF, and I'd suggest the Unicode non-breaking hyphen ߛ [that's char 2011, in case the entity gets mangled] as a more fitting and compatible replacement – or for that matter, a Trados "non-breaking hyphen" TAG as is done when importing from DOCX.

Cheers,
Sebastian

[Edited at 2014-12-09 19:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug report: RTF import filter produces invalid XML character

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search