Bug report: RTF import filter produces invalid XML character
Thread poster: sesc
sesc
Sweden
Local time: 18:49
Dec 9, 2014

I would like to report a bug (IMHO) in the Trados Studio 2014 (SP1 & SP2) import filter for Rich Text Format.

We have a source RTF document containing the string "shown in Table\~3\_2"
Inside Trados this becomes "shown in Table 32" [with a protected space after Table, but that's not relevant]. The problem is that character 1E is not valid in XML 1.0 (neither as a character nor as an entity).

Therefore both exporting for review (which writes to XML inside docx) and manually building an XML via System.Xml in a plugin raise exceptions with the message "hexadecimal value 0x1E, is an invalid character".
I was able to make our plugin more robust; for being able to export, I had to manually edit the sdlxliff file and search & replace the offending entities.

I would argue that, apart from being invalid XML (at least 1.0), an ASCII "Record separator" 1E is an unlucky choice for what obviously is meant to be a non-breaking hyphen in RTF, and I'd suggest the Unicode non-breaking hyphen ߛ [that's char 2011, in case the entity gets mangled] as a more fitting and compatible replacement – or for that matter, a Trados "non-breaking hyphen" TAG as is done when importing from DOCX.

Cheers,
Sebastian

[Edited at 2014-12-09 19:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug report: RTF import filter produces invalid XML character

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search