Reimporting Studio 2014 package - urgent
Thread poster: Tansy

Tansy  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:18
German to English
Dec 10, 2014

I have an error message "dependency file not found". Searching this forum indicates that the problem is due to my Norton 360 deleting temporary files. I cannot save the target file.

I'm new to Studio 2014. The most logical thing would seem to be to reimport the package and run through it all again getting 100% matches. But I'm a bit nervous about doing so. When I'm about to reimport the original package Studio asks "You have already imported this package. Do you want to import it again?" Could someone please confirm that I won't delete my translation if I reimport the package (it's a big job!)

Thanks

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
If you reimport the package... Dec 10, 2014

... then this will overwrite what you have done. You will be able to pre-translate from your TM but if you used track changes, need to see the original match values, added comments, then these will all be lost. You will end up with a file full of 100%/CM matches from your TM.

One way to avoid this is do this:

1. Copy the sdlxliff files from your target language folder in the project and put them somewhere safe
2. Delete the project
3. Open the package again
4. Replace the sdlxliff files in the target folder of the new project with the ones you safely saved

That should work.

However, before you do all that please note that having this message is not necessarily a problem. It just means that you cannot create the target files and this may be because the dependency file was not given to you in the first place! This is often just an information message because Studio sees that the file is not available. You should still be able to work on the translations and create a return package.

So worth checking this before you do anything drastic.

Regards

Paul

Tansy  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 10, 2014

Hi Paul,

Fantastic - thanks very much for the assistance!

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
it has consequences May 18, 2015

Hi

I have been searching for an ultimate solution for this problem of 'dependency file not found' for a long time. Now and then, it happens again.

Today it happened with a new package I got to review and right after installing I get this warning.

I have deleted any trace of old package, closed Trados, reopened, and again try to install, same problem.

I would like just to point out that it has consequences and not minors, and as I had this problem so many times, I've learned the hard way (compromising the quality of my work delivered to client) about why just ignoring won't do.

- it causes the check features to not work properly sometimes. If you just say 'no' to locate the so-called dependency file missing, be aware you may not get a proper QA check. eg. it may fail to spot mispunctuations, etc.

- due to the bad usability of the whole warning message, there is NO possibility of chose 'No for All' or "Do this for all files', meaning you have to click either Yes or No every time the message appears. Right now, I have a Manual with 95 K, spread over more than 200 files... Yes, I am prompted with 'dependency file' over 200 times so I finally get the whole package and its subfolders opened.

Maybe there are even other consequences, but I guess I will keep on having bad experiences so I learn more about it...

Susana Canhoto Abreu da Silva  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:18
Dutch to Portuguese
+ ...
same problem Mar 9, 2016

I'm having a huge problem relating to this.
I'm working in package sent from the client, which also includes the TM.
Since the dependency file was «lost», I guessed (wrongly) that if I reimported the package, my file woulod be ok and the TM would populate the newly reimported file with my 6600-word translation.
The problem is that when reimporting the package, the TM alço got back to the original state the client sent it.
So now I have lost all this work? Any hints to solve this?
Please?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reimporting Studio 2014 package - urgent

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search