Leah Hunt
Leah Hunt
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:04
German to English
Dec 10, 2014

Hi all

I have a slightly odd problem.

I run Trados 2014 but still have a license for 2011. I have a client who sends their TMs as tmx files, which I normally convert through Studio using the automatic process. I recently received one that was so large, it was going to take my machine a very long time to convert, during which I wouldn't be able to work on anything else in Studio. I decided to re-download 2011 and use it to convert the file while I worked in 2014.
<
... See more
Hi all

I run Trados 2014 but still have a license for 2011. I have a client who sends their TMs as tmx files, which I normally convert through Studio using the automatic process. I recently received one that was so large, it was going to take my machine a very long time to convert, during which I wouldn't be able to work on anything else in Studio. I decided to re-download 2011 and use it to convert the file while I worked in 2014.

My problem is that after I did this, double clicking packages would automatically open them in 2011 instead of 2014 and right-clicking files to translate would only offer me the option to use 2011. I have since uninstalled 2011 but I still can't open files and packages without going through the Welcome screen. A small problem, but one that gets annoying after a while.

I'm guessing I'll need to uninstall and reinstall 2014, but is there any other, simpler way to do this?

Thanks!

Leah
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just do it Dec 10, 2014

You have lost already a lot of time, so don't wait but re-install 2014. Nobody needs 2011 when there is 2014.

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 16:04
English to Vietnamese
Repair Trados 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Leah Hallissey wrote:

Hi all

My problem is that after I did this, double clicking packages would automatically open them in 2011 instead of 2014 and right-clicking files to translate would only offer me the option to use 2011. I have since uninstalled 2011 but I still can't open files and packages without going through the Welcome screen. A small problem, but one that gets annoying after a while.

I'm guessing I'll need to uninstall and reinstall 2014, but is there any other, simpler way to do this?

Thanks!

Leah

Hi Leah,

How about going to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Programs and Features then right click on SDL Trados Studio 2014 and choose "Repair" from the popup menu?

I hope this works for you.

Linh Dan

Leah Hunt
Leah Hunt
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 11, 2014

Thank you both for your help. I'll try repairing first and if that doesn't work it'll be a full reinstall.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:04
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
File association Dec 11, 2014

Have you tried just changing default file associations for the .sdlppx file through explorer before using Studio? Worth a try.

In Windows explorer right click on the package file > Open with... > Browse

Then navigate to the location where the Studio 2014 is and double-click on SDLTradosStudio.exe

[Edited at 2014-12-11 21:00 GMT]

Leah Hunt
Leah Hunt
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but problem now resolved Dec 12, 2014

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

Have you tried just changing default file associations for the .sdlppx file through explorer before using Studio? Worth a try.

In Windows explorer right click on the package file > Open with... > Browse

Then navigate to the location where the Studio 2014 is and double-click on SDLTradosStudio.exe

[Edited at 2014-12-11 21:00 GMT]

Hi Alaa

I tried that before but it didn't help. Thankfully, Linh Dan's solution worked so I didn't have to go through the whole reinstall process.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 won't open files automatically after installing Studio 2011

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »