Google Translate in SDL Studio 2014
Thread poster: Boris Tsikel

Boris Tsikel  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:37
English to French
Dec 10, 2014

Hi all,

I wanted to test Google Translate in Studio. So, I've chosen Free Trial for Google Translate and got my API key. I used this key to activate Google Translate in Studio (in the list of TMs). Google Translate appeared in my TM list. "Enabled" and "Lookup" are checked. But when I try to work with a document, I get the following error message "An error has occurred whilst using the translation provider Google Translate: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden." What could be the problem?

Maybe I use the wrong API key, but no available option seems to suit Studio. The options of API key are: Server key, Browser key, Adroid key and iOS key.

Thanks,

Boris

[Edited at 2014-12-10 23:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-12-10 23:24 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
Finnish to French
Free trial? Dec 11, 2014

Boris Tsikel wrote:
I've chosen Free Trial for Google Translate and got my API key.

Since when is there a "free trial" for Google Translate? AFAIK, there's no such thing. At least, it's not mentioned in their FAQ:

https://cloud.google.com/translate/v2/faq

Google Translate is a pay-as-you-go service and trying it will only cost you a few cents, but you have to sign up (again, AFAIK).

I believe the 403 error you got indicates you don't have a valid API key.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:37
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
"Free" trial = bogus trial? Dec 11, 2014

Boris Tsikel wrote:

Hi all,

I wanted to test Google Translate in Studio. So, I've chosen Free Trial for Google Translate and got my API key. I used this key to activate Google Translate in Studio (in the list of TMs). Google Translate appeared in my TM list. "Enabled" and "Lookup" are checked. But when I try to work with a document, I get the following error message "An error has occurred whilst using the translation provider Google Translate: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden." What could be the problem?

My guess is that it's a bogus offer you have responded to, since, as others have said, there apparently is no such thing as a "free trial offer". I would run a check of my machine if it has resulted in some unpleasant visitors on my machine.

Roy

Boris Tsikel  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:37
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Free trial Dec 11, 2014

Guys, here the page where you can see Free Trial buttons: https://cloud.google.com/translate/#pricing.

Activating the paid plan resolved the problem. Thank you!

[Edited at 2014-12-11 08:08 GMT]

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Activating paid plan for free trial Dec 11, 2014

Boris Tsikel wrote:

Guys, here the page where you can see Free Trial buttons: https://cloud.google.com/translate/#pricing.

Activating the paid plan resolved the problem. Thank you!

Yes, it suddenly struck me that even if it was a free trial, you probably had to activate the paid plan, though you should not be charge anything for the free period.

Roy

José Carlos Gil  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you manage to use the USD300 credit in the end? Oct 21, 2015

Hi Boris,
I've opened an account but my balance is still zero but I can see the 300 in the credits of my billing account...
Or you had to make a payment with CC to activate it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate in SDL Studio 2014

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search