https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/27901-some_segments_containing_footnotes_would_not_open.html

Some segments containing footnotes would not open
Thread poster: Roberto Silva
Roberto Silva
Roberto Silva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:05
English to Spanish
Dec 27, 2004

Hi,

I am using Trados 6.5.5.438 + Word 2002 SP3

Some documents sent to me from a client would work fine until, for some reason, I reach some segments that would not open. Neither Trados nor Word shows any error messages. It just do not open a specific segment. It would still open any other previous or subsequent segment.

What I have seen and tested is the following:

1.- This always happens in segments that have footnotes (generally more that on
... See more
Hi,

I am using Trados 6.5.5.438 + Word 2002 SP3

Some documents sent to me from a client would work fine until, for some reason, I reach some segments that would not open. Neither Trados nor Word shows any error messages. It just do not open a specific segment. It would still open any other previous or subsequent segment.

What I have seen and tested is the following:

1.- This always happens in segments that have footnotes (generally more that one footnote in the same segment)
2.- There are no other specific segment characteristics to mention, just the footnotes. The text is standard Time New Roman or Arial, no special styles.
3.- The document is standard Word DOC, not a tagged document coming from other programs (FrameMaker, Quark, etc.).
4.- Reorganizing the TM would have no effect at all. Using a brand new blank TM would also have no positive effect.
5.- If I copy the source segment to a new blank Word document, it would not open either. Not even if I delete the footnotes and then try to open it.
6.- If I manually split the source segment, inserting carriage return at random just to see where the problem lies, some subsegments would open, but others would not. Furthermote: if I split those segments that would not open, reaching the word level (that is, the splitted segment has only one word, no footnotes or anything else), this one word segment would not open either. The word could be any standar word (it is not a number, neither an abreviation nor a name, etc.).
7.- If I insert new words in the source segement, split it with carriage returns, this new words would not open either.
8.- If I copy the source segment to the Windows Clipboard, then copy this unformatted text back to the document, the segment would open fine. Furthermore: if I manually insert the footnes back to this segment (either by recreating them or by copying and pasting the footnote mark from the originally formatted segment), the segment and the footnotes would open fine.

Where is the problem?
Why it would not open a single word segment in a blank document?
Any easy way to solve it instead of using the Clipboard?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the festivities.

Carlos
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some segments containing footnotes would not open

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »