Multiterm SP2 (and previous versions, too) - language variants are not included when importing
Thread poster: Sarah Jackowski
Sarah Jackowski
Sarah Jackowski
Germany
Local time: 03:14
English to German
Dec 11, 2014

Hi there

I want to import a huge Excel terminology list into a new termbase.
The list also includes language variants, e.g. PT_PT and PT_BR (seperate column for each language).
So when converting the Excel to XML via MultitermConvert, I also added the language variants to the preferences.
The empty termbase also has those language variants in it's termbase definition.
However, when importing the terminology, it will be like that I have the double amount o
... See more
Hi there

I want to import a huge Excel terminology list into a new termbase.
The list also includes language variants, e.g. PT_PT and PT_BR (seperate column for each language).
So when converting the Excel to XML via MultitermConvert, I also added the language variants to the preferences.
The empty termbase also has those language variants in it's termbase definition.
However, when importing the terminology, it will be like that I have the double amount of entries in pt_BR and no entries in pt_PT.
I also tried it with a sample Excel list that has other language variants (en_UK and en_US) and did the same thing, same result.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

[Edited at 2014-12-11 14:04 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe share a sample of the excel? Dec 11, 2014

Hi Sarah,

If you can share a small sample, two or three lines will do, and then we can take a look. There isn't really enough information in your post to know what went wrong.

Regards

Paul

Sarah Jackowski
Sarah Jackowski
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Sure Dec 11, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Sarah,

If you can share a small sample, two or three lines will do, and then we can take a look. There isn't really enough information in your post to know what went wrong.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks. I would like share the Excel File and also the XML file and Termbase Definition with you, but unfortunately I didn't figure out yet how I can add an attachment to a post in this Forum.
My table is built like this (with approximately 2000 rows, which is why I can't add the term entries manually)

DE_DE PT_PT PT_BR EN_US EN_UK
Term DE Term PT Term BR Term US Term UK

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Same problem... Dec 11, 2014

... when I try and do this the hard way using MultiTerm Convert.

Fortunately you can save yourself a lot of trouble and use the Glossary Converter from the OpenExchange which does it correctly with a drag and drop!

Regards

Paul

Sarah Jackowski
Sarah Jackowski
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary Converter is not an option for my needs Dec 12, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... when I try and do this the hard way using MultiTerm Convert.

Fortunately you can save yourself a lot of trouble and use the Glossary Converter from the OpenExchange which does it correctly with a drag and drop!

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for confirming that this is a Multiterm Bug.
The example I gave you was just a very easy structure that could be handled by the Glossary Converter, sure. But actually my termlist is way more extensive and has additional coloms for fields like Definitions, Status and so on which can be perfectly put in the needed structure with MultitermConvert.
It would be great if the bug could be reported and SDL could fix this issue?
Actually, the same file that tMultitermConvert created can be perfectly imported to Multiterm 2007. However, I want an sdltb and not an Mdb since I am not Aware for how Long the *MdB Format will be supported?
Is there another way to convert the mdb into a sdltb? I tried the default XML Export / Import, but same Problem with the language variants...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Probably worth... Dec 12, 2014

... taking another look at the Glossary Converter. You might be surprised at how easily it can handle even a really complex termbase.

I recorded a short video with something a little more complex here that you might find interesting. This uses the Glossary Plugin butg the Glossary Converter is in the back of all this.

In the meantime I have reported this already to
... See more
... taking another look at the Glossary Converter. You might be surprised at how easily it can handle even a really complex termbase.

I recorded a short video with something a little more complex here that you might find interesting. This uses the Glossary Plugin butg the Glossary Converter is in the back of all this.

In the meantime I have reported this already to development... but it wouldn't be my choice of conversion tools!

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Sarah Jackowski
Sarah Jackowski
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Dec 12, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

In the meantime I have reported this already to development... but it wouldn't be my choice of conversion tools!

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

thank you very much! I am already trying to handle this with the glossary converter step by step, first with an easy structure, and then doing another conversion with some additional fields, comparing the results
One Question: Is it normal that the Glossary Converter created a Multiterm 2009 Termbase, altough I have Trados Studio 2014 installed?

Update:
What I don't manage to do like you do in the Video is to define the definitions as Index Entries for German and English (there are only definitions for those languages, my sheet contains seperate columns for the German and English definitions)

[Edited at 2014-12-12 09:29 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
How old is your version... Dec 12, 2014

... of the Glossary Converter? Worth checking. I am current running version 3.4.5426.21999

On the 2009 termbase... what is a 2009 termbase? 2001, 2011 and 2014 are all the same!

Regards

Paul

Sarah Jackowski
Sarah Jackowski
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Same version Dec 12, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... of the Glossary Converter? Worth checking. I am current running version 3.4.5426.21999

On the 2009 termbase... what is a 2009 termbase? 2001, 2011 and 2014 are all the same!

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks, I'm running the same Version. However, when I try to convert the table with two colums of definitions for German and English, the glossary converter does not finish the conversion (I also compared my fields and Settings with yours in the Video and they seem to be identical).
Did you add a sample MultiTerm termbase Definition to the glossary converter, or did you format the colums somehow in your Excel sheet?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No... just used the spreadsheet Dec 12, 2014

Hi Sarah,

If you can send me a sample from your spreadsheet, half a dozen lines and the headings, then I'll look at it.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm SP2 (and previous versions, too) - language variants are not included when importing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »