Thread poster: Alaa Zeineldine

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:40
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 11, 2014

This is a problem that's been puzzling me for a while.

I double-click to open a Word file only to get Word (2013) frozen without opening the file. Word remains hanging until I kill the Word process in the Task Manager. When I double-click the file again, Word starts up without any problem, except that it displays a couple of versions of the file which it thinks were open when Word "stopped working unexpectedly"; I confirm deletion of those files and proceed normally.

After living with the problem for several days, I had a semi-Eureka moment. On one of those occasions when Word was stuck, I shutdown Studio for some other reason. At this point, Word instantly got unstuck and the file opened normally.

I say semi-Eureka because it's an incomplete discovery. Apparently, Studio, which seems to cause a Word process to be running, is holding some lock that is preventing Word proper from starting up.

The question is what to do to solve the problem. I consider it a problem of course, since I always unsuspectingly double-click a Word file to open it before I realize the error of my ways.

Any advice?

PS.
Word 2013, SDL Studio 2011, Windows 7 Basic.

[Edited at 2014-12-11 19:49 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Studio blocking Word?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search