Thread poster: Nikoletta Moustaka
Nikoletta Moustaka  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:34
English to Greek
+ ...
Dec 23, 2014

Hi,

I am using Trados Studio 2014 Professional and I was asked to translate a couple of doc files containing a number of comments that did not need to be translated.

Therefore, I activated the "Extract comments text for translation" option from the Microsoft Word 2000-2003 file type and indeed the xliff no longer contained the unwanted comments text.

However, when I tried to export the xliffs back to doc format the error window appeared reporting this error origin "Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Adapter.Framework1.Writer."

One of the files was converted back to doc. but not fully, while the other was not.

My guess is that the conversion was not possible because the original file contained more text (the comments) than the xliff, but this doesn't make much sense because if this is the case what's the point in using the "Extract comments option" if you can't deliver your deliverables.

My other guess is that the original file was corrupt.

Any other guesses or workarounds?

Thanks
Nikoletta

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:34
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Open and Repair Dec 23, 2014

You're right that this might be related to the comments feature in Word, and that this feature sometimes gives you a corrupt source file.

Two possible solutions:

1. Go to Word>Open document and select your source file. Use the drop down option "Open and Repair" beside the Open button. Save your document again.
Open your new source file in Studio and pretranslate it against your TM.

2. Try saving the source file as .docx in Word, and pretranslate the .docx in Studio.

[Edited at 2014-12-23 08:14 GMT]

Nikoletta Moustaka  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:34
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Docx works however... Dec 23, 2014

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the immediate reply.

I tried the second option and it worked, however I only realised that docx works better after I had translated the whole project, which meant that I had to run Perfect Match and Pretranslate and check again if everything was there, which took some time.

So I was hoping for something more proactive, because sometimes I get packages and I must admit I like the idea of everything being nicely packaged in there and not having to push any extra buttons or maybe do my job with some nice solves-it-all option I had not realised so far.

But if this is the only way to work around it, I guess I have to warn project managers to convert beforehand doc files to docx.

Thanks again,

Nikoletta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem exporting xliff after having extracted comments text for translation

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search