Problem exporting xliff after having extracted comments text for translation
Thread poster: Nikoletta Moustaka

Nikoletta Moustaka  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:46
English to Greek
+ ...
Dec 23, 2014


I am using Trados Studio 2014 Professional and I was asked to translate a couple of doc files containing a number of comments that did not need to be translated.

Therefore, I activated the "Extract comments text for translation" option from the Microsoft Word 2000-2003 file type and indeed the xliff no longer contained the unwanted comments text.

However, when I tried to export the xliffs back to doc format the error window appeared reporting this error origin "Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Adapter.Framework1.Writer."

One of the files was converted back to doc. but not fully, while the other was not.

My guess is that the conversion was not possible because the original file contained more text (the comments) than the xliff, but this doesn't make much sense because if this is the case what's the point in using the "Extract comments option" if you can't deliver your deliverables.

My other guess is that the original file was corrupt.

Any other guesses or workarounds?



Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:46
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Open and Repair Dec 23, 2014

You're right that this might be related to the comments feature in Word, and that this feature sometimes gives you a corrupt source file.

Two possible solutions:

1. Go to Word>Open document and select your source file. Use the drop down option "Open and Repair" beside the Open button. Save your document again.
Open your new source file in Studio and pretranslate it against your TM.

2. Try saving the source file as .docx in Word, and pretranslate the .docx in Studio.

[Edited at 2014-12-23 08:14 GMT]


Nikoletta Moustaka  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:46
English to Greek
+ ...
Docx works however... Dec 23, 2014

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the immediate reply.

I tried the second option and it worked, however I only realised that docx works better after I had translated the whole project, which meant that I had to run Perfect Match and Pretranslate and check again if everything was there, which took some time.

So I was hoping for something more proactive, because sometimes I get packages and I must admit I like the idea of everything being nicely packaged in there and not having to push any extra buttons or maybe do my job with some nice solves-it-all option I had not realised so far.

But if this is the only way to work around it, I guess I have to warn project managers to convert beforehand doc files to docx.

Thanks again,



To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem exporting xliff after having extracted comments text for translation

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search