Trados Studio 2009 - can't open file
Thread poster: DSubSG
DSubSG
Local time: 07:15
English to French
+ ...
Dec 23, 2014

Hi everyone,

After recently changing my computer, I had to start using Trados Studio 2009. I've actually owned it for a number of years but always preferred using the good old Trados 2007 instead of Studio. This time, with the new computer running on Windows 8, it seems there was a compatibility problem and I could only install Studio 2009 SP1.
Nevermind, I started using it and forgot about 2007. Everything went fine on my first projects as they mostly consisted of single files.
However I was recently submitted a translation job for which I received a package. At first, Studio refused to open it. I saw a trick somewhere consisting in changing its extension into a .zip file and unzip it to access its folders. Good, now I was able to browse the folders, and even open the TMs. But still, opening the file wasn't possible and I started getting the following error message: "La valeur demandée 'Exclude' est introuvable."
My client hinted at the fact that maybe the sdlxliff file was created with Studio 2011, so he provided me with another one created with Studio 2009. To no avail. I still couldn't open the package file, nor the sdlxliff. But I could still unzip the package and browse its content.
Once I realized that I only owned Studio 2009 SP1, I downloaded SP3 and tried again. This time, Studio finally agreed to open the package. I accessed the project through the left hand-side bar of Studio, viewed the project details and statistics and so on, but when I clicked on the Files tab and tried to open the sdlxliff for translation, then again, "La valeur demandée 'Exclude' est introuvable."
Has anyone ever come across this error message? Is there any workaround or is the file corrupted?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yael Ramon  Identity Verified
Israel
German to Hebrew
+ ...
change to 2011 Dec 23, 2014

2009 was so full of problems that SDL didn't even bother to make it compatible with its follower 2011. it was completely discontinued. it could not be upgraded from 2009 to 2011. instead the installation had to be completely removed in order to install 2011, which is compatible with 2007.
my suggestion - pose the question to SDL directly in their Support section. they should come up with a solution. we paid enough for their product to deserve this service.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Not really helpful or true... Dec 23, 2014

... so I'll try and answer some of these points here:

2009 was so full of problems that SDL didn't even bother to make it compatible with its follower 2011. it was completely discontinued. it could not be upgraded from 2009 to 2011. instead the installation had to be completely removed in order to install 2011, which is compatible with 2007.

Not at all accurate... apart from perhaps that it was a little buggy when it was first released! I have had 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2014 all installed and running alongside each other. Today I only use 2007, 2011 and 2014 as 2009 is no longer supported but it certainly could be installed if I really wanted to.

However I was recently submitted a translation job for which I received a package. At first, Studio refused to open it. I saw a trick somewhere consisting in changing its extension into a .zip file and unzip it to access its folders. Good, now I was able to browse the folders, and even open the TMs. But still, opening the file wasn't possible and I started getting the following error message: "La valeur demandée 'Exclude' est introuvable."
My client hinted at the fact that maybe the sdlxliff file was created with Studio 2011, so he provided me with another one created with Studio 2009. To no avail. I still couldn't open the package file, nor the sdlxliff. But I could still unzip the package and browse its content.
Once I realized that I only owned Studio 2009 SP1, I downloaded SP3 and tried again. This time, Studio finally agreed to open the package. I accessed the project through the left hand-side bar of Studio, viewed the project details and statistics and so on, but when I clicked on the Files tab and tried to open the sdlxliff for translation, then again, "La valeur demandée 'Exclude' est introuvable."
Has anyone ever come across this error message? Is there any workaround or is the file corrupted?

Studio 2011 and 2014 can create Packages specifically for Studio 2009. This is required because the package format changed considerably between 2009 and 2011 so if the package is not created in the old way then Studio 2009 will have no idea how to open it. You can unzip a package as you have found out but then you have a couple of problems to deal with:

• You need to make sure you open the sdlxliff in the target language folder only
  • If the sdlxliff is based on a filetype Studio 2009 doesn't know then you are very likely to have problems but unless the file contained something 2009 doesn't know about (source tracked changes, embedded content settings for example) you should be able to translate the sdlxliff and send it back
  • Then a host of other things such as references to custom QA settings, TMs, Termbases, reference files... many of which Studio 2009 may have problems with anyway as they were not in the software when 2009 was introduced

I think your first port of call is to ask your client to make sure the package was prepared for Studio 2009. Your next action would be to make sure you at least have the latest version of 2009 along with all cumulative updates. If it still doesn't work after that, and you intend to continue working with Studio then I'd recommend you upgraded.

Regards

Paul

DSubSG
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a precision Dec 23, 2014

I have been able to open sldxliff files for other projects when they were not part of a package. But here, even when the client just sends this file on its own and I try to open it and create a new TM, Studio will always fail to open it.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
If you can share your file... Dec 24, 2014

... I'll be happy to take a look at it and see whether I can help?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

DSubSG
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Victory! Dec 24, 2014

Hi!

It seems everything works fine now, thanks to the cumulative updates. I could open the file and the TM and it updates alright. I'd like to thank the two of you for your much-appreciated help, and wish you all the best for the holiday season.
Best regards,

DSubSG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 - can't open file

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search