Comparing multiple segments with TM and discover any changes
Thread poster: nixcalo
nixcalo
Local time: 00:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2015

Do you guys know if there is a way to check quickly in which segments the target segment does NOT match the TM? Ideally, at a project level, as the project I am working in has 99 files.

My situation is this: I have finished a translation and I am trying to ensure consistency now. Among other last-minute changes, I have performed several global search and replace operations. Evidently, those changes have not been copied into the TM and ocassionally, when browing a file, the message "Different target in translation memory" appears.

Is there a quick way to find out which segments have been altered that way? Applying the TM again would destroy such changes, while Updating the TM would validate them (the segments are all confirmed!). I need to go one by one as some of those changes were correct and others will have to be discarded...

It would also be awesome if I could make a report with target segments that are almost similar but not quite.. say, all segment that have a 95% match between themselves (or with a relevant TM unit). The point for this? It would be great to ensure a higher consistency between almost-identical segments!!! I am having trouble when I decide to apply a change in translation (a different verb, or a slight change in tone). It's very easy to apply that change in identical segments.. but it's harder when the segments are "almost" identical. It's clear that changes can't be applied automatically to segments that are not identical, but it would be great if segments could be "grouped" in term of matching percentage among themselves.

Can either of theses things be done?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:00
English
I don't know how large... Jan 2, 2015

... your 99 files are, or what version of the software you are using. But in theory you could open all 99 files at the same time in Studio 2014 and then ruin a Translate to Fuzzy. This would check each segment against the TM and stop whenever it reached something that was different so you could decide what to do with it.

Regards

Paul

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comparing multiple segments with TM and discover any changes

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search