How to leverage revision editing for very similar text?
Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:05
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2015

When reviewing several versions of the same basic text in Trados Studio 2014 within one and the same project, the TM warns me that there is a different translation in the TM but I cannot see the changes that I made to the first text without clicking on the open revision of the first document. It means that I have in fact proofread this copy all over again.
If I would unconfirm everything, I would end up translating the differences between the versions although I am the reviewer of this project, not the original translator.

It would already help me if I could copy my first revision onto my second screen or into a Word document, but the changes are already incorporated if I try to cut and past my first revision into a Word document.
How can I make the changes I made in the first text visible in the TM? Can I make the 2 revisions within the same project visible on my monitor at the same time?

[Edited at 2015-01-06 15:18 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:05
English
The sensible thing... Jan 7, 2015

... perhaps, when reviewing a review, is to use tracked changes in Studio. So after the initial translation the next version should be handled with tracked changes on and then everyone can see what changes have been made.

However, if this wasn't used then perhaps one simple workaround would be to export both versions for external review and then use MSWord to compare the documents. You can create a new file that contains the changes as tracked changes and then you'll see what was different in one view as you work through the text.

Another workaround to handle the revision of two versions of the same file might be to take the first one, open it in Studio and copy source to target. Now update the file into a brand new TM where the source and target will be exactly the same. Now open the second file against the TM you just created and you'll find the differences really easily. This will allow you to do the review and create another version of the target, but you'd have to align the original source and this new target file in order to get a real TM of the final result.

Just a couple of ideas anyway. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Regards

Paul

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:05
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tracked changes used Jan 7, 2015

Thanks, I'm impressed to obtain a reply from SDL itself. I did actually make the changes in the first file by myself with tracked changes turned on; that stands to reason.
My problem is that the agency expected the three files back in Trados Studio, all reviewed using the review function. Another problem is that when I opened the second file, anything that appeared in the translation window already had my revision incorporated. Anyway, I managed to review all the texts now and delivered the job, but I now realise that reviewers lose out somewhat by accepting the same discounted schedule as translators do unless you are allowed to automatically apply the corrected TM to similar files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to leverage revision editing for very similar text?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search