SDL Studio 2014 - Number localisation when inserting source text
Thread poster: Kerstin Kiss
Kerstin Kiss
Local time: 23:49
English to German
Jan 6, 2015

I really appreciate Studio 2014 and its features but when it comes to number localisation, I do have some problems - which is why I mainly still use SDLX - a simple tool but it works the way I need it.

I do translations from English into German, i.e. I need English decimal points to be replaced by German decimal commas. When translating fuzzys, this localisation sometimes works well (sometimes not, I do not know why. Always the same settings but with a different result). But the main problem I have with inserting a source text with numbers. In SDLX, the numbers are automatically localised when inserting the source, in Studio unfortunately not. The numbers are still with decimal points then. My texts usually contain many numbers, many segments with a series numbers listed. I do have to correct the decimal points here manually which is just not reasonable when you have a text with roughly 10k numbers. I did not have this problem in 2011 either.

I would be very thankful for any advise!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Number localisation Jan 6, 2015

Hi Kerstin,

Can you provide a few examples of the actual source text you are translating and what happens in the target? I think it would help to have a better idea.

Regards

Paul

Kerstin Kiss
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Here is an example Jan 7, 2015

Hi Paul,

Here is an example:

Source:
1H NMR (400 MHz, CD3OD) δ 2.69 (s, 3H, CH3), 3.77 (s, 3H, OCH3), 7.00-7.07 (m, 2H, aryl), 7.32-7.34 (m, 1H, aryl), 7.43-7.48 (m, 1H, aryl).

Unfortunately, no decimal points are localised when I insert the source text in the target segment, i.e. nothing changes at all. So I have to do it manually.

When the source includes only one number, e.g. 3.77, it sometimes is localised to 3,77 and sometimes not. Do not know why, same settings in the TM and the rest of the tool.

United Kingdom
English
Recognising numbers Jan 7, 2015

Hi Kerstin,

If you insert the source to target then this is exactly what you'll get. So autolocalisation does not occur in this way. In this text you can see what is recognised out of the box by Studio and how a similar text with different numbers is recognised and automatically propagated as a 100% match:

But if you don't have a similar text already in your TM then you have to apply the autolocalisation in one of three ways (maybe more!)

1. Copy source to target and manually replace the periods with commas
  2. Copy source to target and at the end of the job do a search and replace using regex to correct all the periods to commas in one go
  3. Handle them as you go by using ctrl+comma to place each one in its localised form

If it was me I think I'd go for the second method as strings of text like these are quite tricky and I think you're more likely to make a mistake typing them out by hand.

I hope this helps somewhat... tricky job from the looks of it!

Regards

Paul

Kerstin Kiss
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ... Jan 8, 2015

... for your suggestions, Paul

This was just an excerpt, the 1H NMR data are usually quite long, no chance for fuzzy matches. I think I'll stick with SDLX as it works perfectly in this respect. I insert the source with F4 and the numbers are localised automatically. Do not really understand why this works in such a "simple" tool as SDLX - and in Studio 2011 - and not in the sophisticated Studio 2014. Many colleagues of mine working in the same sector do have the same problem and are really struggling..

Thank you so much for your efforts, though, Paul!
Kerstin

United Kingdom
English
I don't think... Jan 8, 2015

... this works in Studio 2011 Kerstin. We have never had a feature like this which allows us to localize all the content in the source as it's moved into the target in one go. I still have 2011 installed as well so if you can show me how this works I'll be more than amazed!

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2014 - Number localisation when inserting source text

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search