Treatment of multi-line entries in Excel file
Thread poster: Neil Coffey

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:58
French to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2015

I'm translating an Excel file in TRADOS that had multi-line entries (i.e. ones with newlines in them, as achieved by pressing SHIFT+ENTER). When the file is imported into TRADOS, I was thinking that separate lines inside a given cell would be split into separate translation units, but this hasn't happened. I guess I'll live with it for this document unless there's a way to retrospectively re-split the items, but for future reference, is there some setting I should be using when initially setting up the project so that cells containing newlines are split into separate TUs at each newline?

(Apologies if this is a silly question: I confess I don't actually use TRADOS that much -- only for specific projects such as this one...)

[Edited at 2015-01-06 23:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:58
English
Add a new segmentation rule... Jan 7, 2015

... to your TM to break on the soft return.

So go to the TM Maintenance View, open your TM so it's in the list in the left handside. Then right-click and select Settings. Now click on Language Resources and then Segmentation Rules on the right. Edit these rules and add a new rule called "Soft Break", or whatever you like. Then go to the Advanced View and use these two expressions:

Before Break
.[\n]+

After Break

Now when you prepare your file with this TM selected you will find each line is separate.

Regards

Paul

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Treatment of multi-line entries in Excel file

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search