https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/280090-adding_terms_on_the_fly.html

Adding terms on the fly
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
Italian to English
Jan 8, 2015

I know how to add terms in Studio (I'm using 2014) on the fly by highlighting the term in the source and target segments but, is there a way to add a term on the fly if it is not in the source segment. For example say I have something line "full crate conveyor belt" but I know that "empty crate conveyor belt" is sure to come. It is obviously not in the text at this point but could I enter it anyway? Or do is the only way to open MultiTerm and enter it.

Thanks for any suggestions as,
... See more
I know how to add terms in Studio (I'm using 2014) on the fly by highlighting the term in the source and target segments but, is there a way to add a term on the fly if it is not in the source segment. For example say I have something line "full crate conveyor belt" but I know that "empty crate conveyor belt" is sure to come. It is obviously not in the text at this point but could I enter it anyway? Or do is the only way to open MultiTerm and enter it.

Thanks for any suggestions as, for me, this comes up quite often.

Eileen
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Suggestion Jan 8, 2015

After you have saved your first term, could you not just highlight the source and target terms a second time, hit Ctrl+F2 and then edit the source and target entries?

Studio will ask you whether you want to edit your existing entry. Click "No" and make a new entry with the changes you need.

HTH

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now why didn't I think of that Jan 8, 2015

Thanks, that would most likely be the easy way.

Thanks again
Eileen

[Edited at 2015-01-08 16:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding terms on the fly

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »