SDL MultiTerm: just one termbase for all my languages and all my subjects?
Thread poster: Lotte Bulckens

Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:26
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 9, 2015

Hello there

I am taking my first steps with SDL MultiTerm and I was wondering how to proceed: should I make just one termbase containing all my languages and all my subjects? Or should I make different termbases for each subject...? How do you work? What are the pros and cons for both methods? What is your experience/opinion?
Thanks for your feedback!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:26
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
One termbase per language pair (both directions) for all the subjects Jan 9, 2015

Hi Lotte,
This is just an opinion:
Why?
1. Because, unless you have the same job in different languages at the same time, this is probably both unnecessary and a potential minefield. Keep it simple. The less complicated it is, the less likely it is to confuse you, especially until you develop your own workflow. You can always export the TBs and import them all in whatever combination you find useful.

2. One termbase to rule them all. This single-pair termbase should be properly defined to include all the subjects as fields and anything else you may find useful to record. I recently found out how by watching this excellent SDL tutorial which finally explains in simple steps and with illustrations how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mICKmfyfPs
Don't create termbases by subjects because they will always overlap and you will have to attach a multitude of termbases, possibly located in different places, and constantly change priorities so that the correct termbase is updated each time. What will you do if the job is both say, technical and legal (such as a contract including tech specs)?
HTH,

Sandra

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:26
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
One per language pair, but all subjects Jan 10, 2015

I use Multiterm 'creatively' - I even have several of my worst typos in it, correctly spelled.

I enter all sorts of things, and they turn up later in different contexts. When Workbench could only handle max. two termbases there was no other option, and then if the client sent me a termbase I could still use mine in tandem.

Now it is also very easy to delete terms, so I enter them anyway, even if I only need them for a single project or a short time.

I started out with several databases, but always missed the one I had not set up in my project... so they overlapped more and more, and finally I merged them before they got too large!

Best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm: just one termbase for all my languages and all my subjects?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search