Muge SOZEN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 22:11
Member (2013)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 9, 2015

Hello All,

I use SDL Trados Studio 2011 as a CAT tool. I have received a TTX file as the source file for a translation project. There are tags in the file, and I continue with the translation of the file by keeping the tags. The client told that he wanted clean and unclean files at the end of the translation. I think I should click "Save Target As" and then "Original File Format" to obtain the clean file. However, when I do this, I get the following error message;

"Failed to save target content. The tag settings (INI) file with settings name "OpenTag" could not be located.
The following paths were attempted:
..."

The client did not send an INI file. I'd kindly like to ask what I should do to obtain a clean file.

Thank you so much in advance for your kind help!

Muge Sozen

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:11
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No source file, no "clean" target Jan 9, 2015

Did the client send you the original file in its native format? If you were only sent a ttx as a source file, you can't "save target as" in the native file format, only as a ttx. It's impossible.

Turkey
Member (2013)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jan 9, 2015

Hi Emma,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. In fact, also a PDF format of the source file was sent, but it was told that it was only meant for reference. I don't know what I can do with the PDF file.

Should the client also send me an INI file to obtain a clean file?

Thank you!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:11
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No INI file necessary if there's no source Jan 9, 2015

The PDF wasn't used to produce the ttx. As you say, it's been sent to you for reference and so you can't use it to save your sdlxliff file in a "clean" format.

An INI file is only used in the old Tag Editor program. Studio doesn't need it to process a ttx, as you've discovered. You would only need it if you had been sent the source file and were able to produce the target file using "save target as". In that case you might have to point Studio to its location. This explains your original error message.

But none of that applies in your case, because you haven't got the source file.

Just deliver the bilingual ("unclean") ttx and your client will be able to produce the "clean" file.

Turkey
Member (2013)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Again Jan 9, 2015

Thank you so much for your kind help Emma, it helped a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a Clean File in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search