Thread poster: tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Jan 13, 2015

SDL MultiTerm SP2

Hello,

is it possible to edit one entry field and to apply this to all entries (terms) in the termbase? Example: Enter "insurance" in the field "subject area" on the entry level, so that each termbase entry shows the field "Subject area: insurance" on its entry level.

Best,
Tietzes

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:47
French to German
+ ...
This can only be done through export and reimport Jan 14, 2015

Tietzes

There is no such function. Personally, I don't see why you would want to do this: if you change the subject area to "insurance" on ALL entries of your tremble, this means you would not need this distinctive field anymore because all entries pertain to the same subject area anyway. Or am I missing something?

If you need to modify data for a batch of entries, you can do this by exporting the entries and modifying the data when reimporting into a new copy of the tr
... See more
Tietzes

There is no such function. Personally, I don't see why you would want to do this: if you change the subject area to "insurance" on ALL entries of your tremble, this means you would not need this distinctive field anymore because all entries pertain to the same subject area anyway. Or am I missing something?

If you need to modify data for a batch of entries, you can do this by exporting the entries and modifying the data when reimporting into a new copy of the tremble. You may also use Glossary Converter for this, so you can make the changes in Excel where this is easier and then reimport.

Walter
Collapse

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
entries Jan 14, 2015

Hello Walter

thank you for your answer.

Walter Blaser wrote:

Personally, I don't see why you would want to do this: if you change the subject area to "insurance" on ALL entries of your tremble, this means you would not need this distinctive field anymore because all entries pertain to the same subject area anyway. Or am I missing something?

Inspried by another thread here on Proz, I'm thinking about merging all my termbases to a single big one - at the moment, I am using several termbases divided by subject area which do not contain any entry field indicating the latter. Using only one termbase instead of several smaller ones might be beneficial in terms of speed and handiness. But in order to do so, there must be a field which clearly indicates the subject area, which is, alas, not the case at the moment.

What do you think? Is it a good idea to consolidate the termbases?

If you need to modify data for a batch of entries, you can do this by exporting the entries and modifying the data when reimporting into a new copy of the tremble. You may also use Glossary Converter for this, so you can make the changes in Excel where this is easier and then reimport.

Thank you for your explanation. I will definitely try this.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:47
French to German
+ ...
Consolidation is a good idea Jan 14, 2015

Tietzes

Yes, it is a good idea to consolidate your termbases. There are several reasons why you should do this, one of them is that Studio allows one to add new terms only to the "default" termbase. This means that if you have opened several termbases in your project, you need to temporarily change the termbase to become the default every time you want to add a term to one of the other termbases.

When you create the new (consolidated) termbase, simply add the "subject a
... See more
Tietzes

Yes, it is a good idea to consolidate your termbases. There are several reasons why you should do this, one of them is that Studio allows one to add new terms only to the "default" termbase. This means that if you have opened several termbases in your project, you need to temporarily change the termbase to become the default every time you want to add a term to one of the other termbases.

When you create the new (consolidated) termbase, simply add the "subject area" field as a "picklist" type field and define the various values it can have. You may then assign one of these values when you import the respective (old) termbase.

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm: edit entry field and apply to all entries

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »