How can an editor use partial translation deliverables to stick to a single edited file in Studio?
Thread poster: DelfinaMH
DelfinaMH
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 13, 2015

It's likely I'll be assigned a project to edit on Studio 2014 and my client tells me I'm going to be getting partial deliverables from the translator.

My query is, how could I import the newly translated content every time I receive a new series of translated segments so that I keep one single edited file? Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
English
Interesting question... Jan 14, 2015

... and I think we'd need to know more about what partial deliverables mean.

Is it complete files as part of a larger project?
Is it partial files?

If the former then it's simple, and I guess you wouldn't be asking the question if this was the case.

So based on the latter this is what you would seem to be doing.

1. The translator translates 25% of the file (for example)
  2. You are sent this file to review and you make changes to it.
  3. The translator does another 25% and sends you that file.
  4. You now have a duplicate file, except that the first 25% no longer matches what you have.
  5. So what now?

If you have the Professional edition then you would use Perfect Match and this would retain your corrections while populating the rest of the file with whatever new work the translator had completed. You would then correct that, Perfect Match the next one etc... Perfect Match would also allow you to retain the same match values and statuses that the Translator had so if anyone wanted to see the history of how the file had changed it would all be there.

If you don't have the Professional Edition then you could use the TM, but then of course you won't get any of the original match values as you will now get 100% matches for all the work the Translator did. Alternatively you could open the Translators file, delete the segments you had reviewed, and then update that from your TM. But then you'd also lose the history of changes as these will also become 100% matches.

If none of the match value history is important because your client is only interested in the final translations then it's no problem. The last delivery will contain all the reviewed text.

But if it is the only other alternative you have would be to simply keep all the bilingual files and just rename them and add them to your Project. As you work through them you confirm your changes to your own TM and at the very end you can create the target file from your TM as this will be corrected and you'll have the history of the changes in as many files as were partially delivered.

I hope this makes sense... it's probably easier than it sounds! Perhaps someone else here can share their experience of working on a project like this without the benefit of Perfect Match.

Regards

Paul

DelfinaMH
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 14, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I would be getting partial files, that is, incomplete files. And I suppose (I am guessing here) my client would be interested in the final, reviewed file only, without the need of tracking changes. The copy I provide is what my client will get as the final product in this case.

So I guess this is what I should do based on your tips:
1. Review all the partial files as I receive them from the translator using the same Editing TM.
2. Once I have reviewed all the partial files, the Editing TM will allegedly contain the entire text. So what I should do next is take the ORIGINAL empty file and run my clean editing TM through it so that it gets populated with the REVIEWED content ONLY. Is that OK?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
English
That would work... Jan 15, 2015

... but as you can see there are many ways to skin this problem! I'd be interested to see if any practitioners have a better idea based on real-life experience!

It might be easier to keep track of things if you did this... just thinking out loud:

1. The translator translates 25% of the file (for example)
  2. You are sent this file to review and you make changes to it confirming to your TM
  3. The translator does another 25% and sends you that file.
  4. You open the new file as a single file project.
  5. Delete all the segments you reviewed.
  6. Pretranslate to update this new one with the work you did so far.
  7. etc.

This way you always work on the latest file and just update each one with the work you have committed to your TM.

You also keep a project for each delivery so if necessary it'll be easier to go back a step as needed.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can an editor use partial translation deliverables to stick to a single edited file in Studio?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search