Thread poster: A. R. Raman
A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2015

Hello,

I am not sure if this has been discussed earlier.

I just had a crash in Trados 2014 which then showed an error message saying report problem, which I did. But after that I am unable to open the Studio wizard. I thought I will reinstall it, but cannot. Since I would require to return the license I am unable to do that as the wizard is not opening.

Would appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Regards

Arvind

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:47
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Restart and try again Jan 15, 2015

Have you tried to restart the system before trying to open Studio?

Alternatively, you can terminate all active Studio processes from Windows' Task Manager.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 03:47
French to German
+ ...
No need to return your license Jan 15, 2015

Arvind

First of all: you don't need to return your license when reinstalling the software. This is only required if you reinstall Windows or move to another PC.

If you can't launch Studio anymore after this crash (and after having restarted your PC), you may "reset" your installation.

You'll find the detailed instructions here:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4457&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Walter

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Jan 15, 2015

Thanks for your response. Yes I have tried to restart the pc and also tried the repair feature from control panel but it didnt work. I will try to uninstall it and reinstall again. Thanks.

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not working Jan 15, 2015

Hello Walter,

I uninstalled both Studio 2014 and multiterm 2014 and then reinstalled them. But I still have the same problem. Trados just wont start. When I double click the icon I can see it starting in Windows task manager but shuts down itself without any error message. I am now confused what the issue can be. I also tried the trouble shooting method mentioned in the link you sent me, but that didnt work as well.

Ok. I am also receiving the following error message if I try to open SDL Synergy

"… Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I have no idea what this error means. The license of Synergy is fine. I returned it and activated again but still the above issue.

I really appreciate any help on this as I am currently working on a project and on a deadline.

Thanks

Arvind

[Edited at 2015-01-15 09:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-01-15 10:02 GMT]

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Google the exact error message Jan 15, 2015

I know, it sounds stupid, but I had similar problem with my studio 2014. After googling the error message, I found out that I just had to delete some project files from certain folders. I did and Studio was "back to business".

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same thing2 Jan 15, 2015

Hi Merab, Thanks but which one to delete. I have tried googling it. Found a bit of info. Butonly found one of the files it mentions to delete. The solution I found was for MEMOQ but not for Trados.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:47
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Contact SDL Jan 15, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

... and get a support engineer to take a look Geneviève.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio and/or SDL MultiTerm 2009, 2011 or 2014
-- The installation went fine but now I get an error message etc
--- The problem occurs in (pick the appropriate tool/s)
---- None of the articles resolved my problem (if they didn’t!)

Follow the route for your problem and if there is no answer that helps by the time you get to the end you'll be presented with a form to contact support. Complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form.

Regards

Paul

What was the error message you got with the first crash, after which you can launch Studio anymore?

Might also worth a try to delete the projects.xml file (make a backup first).

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same thing2 Jan 15, 2015

Hello Shai,

i had already raised a ticket with SDL Support early today but havent received anything yet.

The error message during the crash was just simple "SDL Trados 2014 has stopped working" thats it, nothing excelptional. And since then it is not opening. I have followed every solution mentioned in the links but nothing yet.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 03:47
French to German
+ ...
Synergy is not part of Studio Jan 15, 2015

Arvind

You mention Synergy, but this is an old piece of software that has nothing to do with Studio and is not required. I suggest you uninstall it.

Did you try to "reset" your Studio installation according to the instructions in KB 4457?

Walter

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It worked for me back then Jan 15, 2015

Shai Navé wrote:

Might also worth a try to delete the projects.xml file (make a backup first).

Absolutely. This is the one I deleted back then and Studio came to life again. You have to first unhide all folders in control panel and then you find this file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 wont open after crash

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search