Thread poster: elizabeth_med
elizabeth_med  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:29
French to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2015

Hello!
I have a strange problem that I have never encountered before.
I translated a text in Trados 2009 with no problems.
I generated the target text with no problems.
When I go to open the target text, I see that the first half is in the target language (the translation) and about half way down it has just copied the source text (no translation). I went back to the Trados 2009 editor page and my translation shows up like normal in Editor (i.e. no source language in the target language column).
What could be causing this?
How can I get it to generate the translation with the entire target text?
Thank you for your help!
Elizabeth

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Verify? Jan 17, 2015

Have you run Verify to check that there are no tag trouble in the file? For instance misplaced or in the wrong order?
Otherwise I cannot imagine what the trouble may be.

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 14:29
English to French
+ ...
Save your work Jan 19, 2015

Hello

Have you saved your work in Trados 2009 before you generated your target text?

If nothing else works, try this:
- From your present work, update your translation memory.
- Open your source file (provided by your client), save it in text file (txt), that will keep just the text and erase any other codes etc. Open the text file in Word, for instance, and save it as Word under a new name. Then import it in Trados in the same project, just like a new text for translation. It will automatically be translated from your translation memory. You might have to add one or two segments "by hand". Then export your target file from there.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your results.

Jean-Pierre

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You could try this... Jan 19, 2015

... Open the translated file in its native application and make a note of where the text becomes source instead of target.

Now open the Studio file, navigate to the segment where this problems occurs and copy source to target for the segment before, the segment itself and the segment after. Now try and save the target again.

This may carry over the hidden tags that are causing this problem and you can translate the three segments in the target file by hand.

If this doesn't work try two segments either side. If it still fails after all that I can take a look at the file if you're comfortable sending it to me. I'd need the fully translated sdlxliff and the original source file.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
This has happened to me… Jan 19, 2015

elizabeth_med wrote:
When I go to open the target text, I see that the first half is in the target language (the translation) and about half way down it has just copied the source text (no translation). I went back to the Trados 2009 editor page and my translation shows up like normal in Editor (i.e. no source language in the target language column).

… a couple of times with Studio 2014 and working with Word documents. Actually they were manuals.

The culprit was always a weird Chinese character in the middle of the English text. I remember that character was visible but difficult to spot on Word.

The easiest way would be to follow Paul's advice (copy original text to target in Studio on the first segment not translated), and after finding out the segment with problems, create the target document and translate that phrase by hand.

Once I needed to do it twice, I mean, there're two weird characters in the same document, but I eventually solved the problem!

... Jesús Prieto ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Generated translation half in source text half in target text

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search