https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/280559-text_missing_from_word_file_in_trados_studio_2014.html

Text missing from Word file in Trados Studio 2014
Thread poster: Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Jan 19, 2015

Hello everyone

Yet again, Trados has let me down when I need it most.

I have imported a word file into Studio 2014 but roughly half of the text is absent in the editor. It is actual text, not an image or anything like that. I've tried unhiding everything in the word file and re-importing. I've tried cleaning the document using the TransTool utility before re-importing. Neither worked. Only part of my text appears in the editor.

At one point, when I tried t
... See more
Hello everyone

Yet again, Trados has let me down when I need it most.

I have imported a word file into Studio 2014 but roughly half of the text is absent in the editor. It is actual text, not an image or anything like that. I've tried unhiding everything in the word file and re-importing. I've tried cleaning the document using the TransTool utility before re-importing. Neither worked. Only part of my text appears in the editor.

At one point, when I tried to restart Studio I got the following error message, but I'm no longer getting it and I don't know if it's related to my problem: Cannot set the active view to a view that is disabled or not available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

With thanks

Simon
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:27
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try a different format Jan 19, 2015

Hi!
I am no expert on Trados (Studio?), but I have used Dejavu for a lot of years. I have found that in such instances as this, saving the source file as for instance rtf and trying to import it, often does work.

By the way. you say you get an error message, but you forgot to include what the message says. You may want to do so, in case some other users can help you explaining what's wrong and how to fix it.

Roy

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Jan 19, 2015

Many thanks, Roy. I converted to RTF and now it works. I had tried converting to the older Word format, but not to RTF.

Problems solved.

Simon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text missing from Word file in Trados Studio 2014

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »