Critical terminology-related issues in T2014 SP2
Thread poster: Dmitry Pakidov
Dmitry Pakidov
Dmitry Pakidov
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:00
Jan 19, 2015

Hi,

This post is mainly addressed to Paul Filkin, but any other SDL employee that can give concrete answers is also welcome to reply.

More often than not I find myself working with texts with large sentences, be it contracts or otherwise, that may sometimes even span for several screens, with such documents either having their own terminology lists or being accompanied by glossaries submitted by the customer. This implies the need to use Studio’s terminology managemen
... See more
Hi,

This post is mainly addressed to Paul Filkin, but any other SDL employee that can give concrete answers is also welcome to reply.

More often than not I find myself working with texts with large sentences, be it contracts or otherwise, that may sometimes even span for several screens, with such documents either having their own terminology lists or being accompanied by glossaries submitted by the customer. This implies the need to use Studio’s terminology management module in order to complete my work quickly and effectively. However, in the process of using the module I constantly encounter two critical bugs, which by Studio 2014 SP2 have—for some bizarre reason—been mostly neglected.

The first is the long-known term recognition bug where Studio fails to recognise (almost) any terms starting from the 256th (or so) character into a segment, while the terms it fails to recognise are present in the active termbase(s) (see illustrations here and here).

The second one is where all the terms correctly added into a termbase throughout a given period of time without any error messages sometimes randomly disappear when Studio is closed.

These two bugs effectively render the terminology module unreliable and all but useless. Both bugs have pertained at least since Studio 2009, which makes them at least six years old (and probably much older!), and yet these critical problems with one of the main components of Studio have received next to no coverage on the part of SDL employees both in official statements and documentation, and I’m baffled and awestruck by this fact. Service Pack 2 for Studio 2014, which was supposed to bring, to quote Paul, “some far reaching changes in working with terminology”, did not fix these bugs, and its accompanying documentation does not even list them as known issues (see SDL_Trados_Studio_2014_SP2_Release_Notes.pdf).

Following Paul’s suggestion in another topic on this issue, I sent an email to [email protected] containing a detailed description of the bugs along with files in which they manifest, but apparently it did not deserve a reply, so I’m reposting the contents of the attachment here just in case: https://mega.co.nz/#!qE5SwR7R!Qh2yz9PNU4XMg7sdieqN02f83HQvSkLT7_mEG_yp9fA.

Reiterating these two critical issues is not the only reason of this post. I would also like to inquire the following:

1. How is it possible that such critical bugs pertain for 6+ years and will both of them ever get fixed?

2. How is it possible that, given the implications of the character recognition bug, there was/is no widespread user outcry? Clearly every Studio user working with the terminology module must be encountering it (those working with CJK less so, I suppose).
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
15%? Jan 19, 2015

Dmitry Pakidov wrote:

Hi,

More often than not I find myself working with texts with large sentences, be it contracts or otherwise, that may sometimes even span for several screens, with such documents either having their own terminology lists or being accompanied by glossaries submitted by the customer. This implies the need to use Studio’s terminology management module in order to complete my work quickly and effectively. However, in the process of using the module I constantly encounter two critical bugs, which by Studio 2014 SP2 have—for some bizarre reason—been mostly neglected.

The first is the long-known term recognition bug where Studio fails to recognise (almost) any terms starting from the 256th (or so) character into a segment, while the terms it fails to recognise are present in the active termbase(s) (see illustrations here and here).

The second one is where all the terms correctly added into a termbase throughout a given period of time without any error messages sometimes randomly disappear when Studio is closed.

These two bugs effectively render the terminology module unreliable and all but useless. Both bugs have pertained at least since Studio 2009, which makes them at least six years old (and probably much older!), and yet these critical problems with one of the main components of Studio have received next to no coverage on the part of SDL employees both in official statements and documentation, and I’m baffled and awestruck by this fact. Service Pack 2 for Studio 2014, which was supposed to bring, to quote Paul, “some far reaching changes in working with terminology”, did not fix these bugs, and its accompanying documentation does not even list them as known issues (see SDL_Trados_Studio_2014_SP2_Release_Notes.pdf).

Following Paul’s suggestion in another topic on this issue, I sent an email to [email protected] containing a detailed description of the bugs along with files in which they manifest, but apparently it did not deserve a reply, so I’m reposting the contents of the attachment here just in case: https://mega.co.nz/#!qE5SwR7R!Qh2yz9PNU4XMg7sdieqN02f83HQvSkLT7_mEG_yp9fA.

Reiterating these two critical issues is not the only reason of this post. I would also like to inquire the following:

1. How is it possible that such critical bugs pertain for 6+ years and will both of them ever get fixed?

2. How is it possible that, given the implications of the character recognition bug, there was/is no widespread user outcry? Clearly every Studio user working with the terminology module must be encountering it (those working with CJK less so, I suppose).

Which begs the question: how many people are actually using the terminology module in Studio? My guess is 15%, if even that.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
English
It did deserve a reply... Jan 19, 2015

... but I failed to respond. Many apologies for that as I have checked and I do have your unanswered email still in my inbox. I don't have a good excuse for not responding either... sorry!

I have discussed the items you mentioned with the development team and both items are being addressed along with a number of other long standing issues we had with MultiTerm. I can't provide any dates for these fixes yet, but they are being prioritised as part of quite a major review of the ter
... See more
... but I failed to respond. Many apologies for that as I have checked and I do have your unanswered email still in my inbox. I don't have a good excuse for not responding either... sorry!

I have discussed the items you mentioned with the development team and both items are being addressed along with a number of other long standing issues we had with MultiTerm. I can't provide any dates for these fixes yet, but they are being prioritised as part of quite a major review of the terminology solutions we have.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me on this, and for reminding me in here that I didn't respond.

Kind regards

Paul
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks for bringing this up again Jan 20, 2015

Dear Dmitry,

Thanks for bringing this up again, if only to remind people that Studio, while having so many sophisticated features, has serious problems with the implementation of some of the core functionalities of a CAT software (like actually finding terminology that's in the database, or applying a somewhat useful matching algorithm, to name just a few).

@Paul: Thanks for acknowledging that you're aware of the problem, but this really isn't good enough. As Dmitry sai
... See more
Dear Dmitry,

Thanks for bringing this up again, if only to remind people that Studio, while having so many sophisticated features, has serious problems with the implementation of some of the core functionalities of a CAT software (like actually finding terminology that's in the database, or applying a somewhat useful matching algorithm, to name just a few).

@Paul: Thanks for acknowledging that you're aware of the problem, but this really isn't good enough. As Dmitry said, this problem has been known for a couple of years, and it's a very basic function of the software that isn't working correctly.

OT: (I'm actively exploring my possibilites to switch to a different software (together with switching to Mac), but this will still need some time, as there are so many things to think of and so many old habits to forfeit. I'm still reluctant - IMO, Studio would be a great piece of software, IF it actually worked reliably, which most of the time it doesn't.

@Michael: I guess your assumption may be true. I'm still reluctant to switch to your favourite CAT tool for the reasons I named above.)

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-20 13:28 GMT]
Collapse

Tommy Lund
Tommy Lund
Norway
English to Norwegian
Thank you so much for bringing this up! Feb 2, 2015

This problem has been annoying me for years. The terminology feature in studio has the potential to be one of the most performance enhancing features of them all. I use it all the time to add not only terms, but also longer phrases that I know will be recurring in the future - and even names of people and places etc., which is really a big help in the work I do. But then, of course, I keep running into the same problems mentioned here, in addtion to this one: After working for an hour or two or ... See more
This problem has been annoying me for years. The terminology feature in studio has the potential to be one of the most performance enhancing features of them all. I use it all the time to add not only terms, but also longer phrases that I know will be recurring in the future - and even names of people and places etc., which is really a big help in the work I do. But then, of course, I keep running into the same problems mentioned here, in addtion to this one: After working for an hour or two or whataver, invariably sooner or later term recognition stops working altogether, and then I find studio is working on a process which takes up both a lot of processor capacity and more and more memory (the memory usage just keeps increasing). This process never stops, and the only solution is to restart Studio. I have tried this on several computers, so it definitely has nothing to do with any hardware issues. Extremely annoying, and something I have high expectations the programmers will now finally be able to solve after all these years...

[Edited at 2015-02-02 08:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-02 08:47 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Critical terminology-related issues in T2014 SP2

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »