Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:29
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2015

After a brief search through google and proz.com forums, I have been unable to determine whether it is possible to link online dictionaries to Trados Studio 2014. I don't want these automated machine translations with their hopelessly boggled syntax, but I would like to highlight a word, press a button on the keypad and see the translation of the term in an online dictionary. Exactly the way this functions with F3 for the TM in trados studio or ctrl+k in memsource. To my knowledge this was possi... See more
After a brief search through google and proz.com forums, I have been unable to determine whether it is possible to link online dictionaries to Trados Studio 2014. I don't want these automated machine translations with their hopelessly boggled syntax, but I would like to highlight a word, press a button on the keypad and see the translation of the term in an online dictionary. Exactly the way this functions with F3 for the TM in trados studio or ctrl+k in memsource. To my knowledge this was possible in Wordfast 10 years ago. Is it possible that SDLX trados has still not integrated such a feature into its software? Can anyone instruct me or direct me to a forum or instructions that explains how to do this? Thanks and kind regards, HenryCollapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Try IntelliWebSearch Jan 20, 2015

Hi Henry,

There is no feature like this in Studio yet. I'd recommend having a look at IntelliWebSearch, which does something similar:

http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/index.asp

Henry Schroeder
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does it work with Trados Studio? Jan 20, 2015

Hi Michael, Many thanks for the response. I'm no tech whiz and I was sure that I just didn't get it. I find this truly unbelievable. It can't be that difficult technically. Anyway, I looked at your suggestion. Thanks. Does this key combination at IntelliWebSearch work with Trados Studio 2014? Do you actually use it yourself? Thanks again! Henry

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:29
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Terminotix and IntelliWebSearch Jan 21, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

There is no feature like this in Studio yet.

Yes, there is.

Terminotix is an OpenExchange app that works with concordance in Studio and searches a number of on-line resources:
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/terminotixplug-inforsdl-632.html#62063

However, I definitely recommend IntelliWebSearch, which you can customise much more, and it works across all Windows programs. I use IWS in Studio and in other programs all the time, and have customised it for my medical searches:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/04/29/iws/

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You also have the ... Jan 21, 2015

... MultiTerm Widget, the Dictionary Provider and if you are a developer there's a wikipedia plugin available as an SDK example so you can see how something like this could be implemented into Studio yourself. It would probably be fairly simple for a independent developer to impleme... See more
... MultiTerm Widget, the Dictionary Provider and if you are a developer there's a wikipedia plugin available as an SDK example so you can see how something like this could be implemented into Studio yourself. It would probably be fairly simple for a independent developer to implement IntelliwebSearch too.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Try Multifultor Jan 21, 2015

Henry Schroeder wrote:

I would like to highlight a word, press a button on the keypad and see the translation of the term in an online dictionary.

Multifultor ist THE free tool for this and similar tasks. Youl'll find the download address in my profile.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-21 07:59 GMT]

Henry Schroeder
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for these tips! Jan 21, 2015

Many thanks Rolf, Emma and Michael!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linking online dictionaries to Trados Studio 2014

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »