https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/280660-how_do_i_produce_a_bilingual_uncleaned_rtf_file.html

How do I produce a bilingual (uncleaned) .rtf file?
Thread poster: Paul Malone
Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:02
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2015

I currently work with Trados Studio 2014 SP2 - 11.2.4322.0.

At present I have an .rtf file that has already been partially translated using a Trados version prior to Studio, i.e. with Translator's Workbench. The client is asking me to deliver a bilingual, i.e. uncleaned translated file, in the same format.

I do have TWB installed, but I do not have access to the Trados commands in the version of MS Word that I am using. I used to translate directly in MS Word using TWB,
... See more
I currently work with Trados Studio 2014 SP2 - 11.2.4322.0.

At present I have an .rtf file that has already been partially translated using a Trados version prior to Studio, i.e. with Translator's Workbench. The client is asking me to deliver a bilingual, i.e. uncleaned translated file, in the same format.

I do have TWB installed, but I do not have access to the Trados commands in the version of MS Word that I am using. I used to translate directly in MS Word using TWB, but have not done so for a number of years.

I have tried to open the file in SDL Trados Studio 2014. When doing so, I am receiving the error message: "This file is bilingual. Please disable the "Process files with tw4winMark style" option." This error message appears whether or not the tw4winMark style option is enabled or disabled in the *rtf file type options

My questions are as follows:

1) Should it be possible for me to open and translate this file in Studio 2014?
2) If yes, can anyone suggest what may be preventing me from doing so?
3) If no, can anyone suggest any "workaround" ideas?

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions or help.

Paul

[Edited at 2015-01-21 19:14 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
External Review? Jan 21, 2015

I would think that an External Review file should do it for you.

After you have imported the file, right click on it and choose Batch Tasks > Export for External View.

At least hope that will help.

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't open the file in Studio Jan 21, 2015

Hi Roy, thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately I have not yet been able to open the file in Studio (import it) as I'm still getting the error message I mentioned when I try to open the file, so this suggestion doesn't help me.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try fixing it with a demo copy of Wordfast Classic Jan 21, 2015

Paul Malone wrote:
I do have TWB installed, but I do not have access to the Trados commands in the version of MS Word that I am using. I used to translate directly in MS Word using TWB, but have not done so for a number of years.

Try to install Wordfast Classic (a demo version will do) and use to turn the document into a fully segmented document (which, I believe Trados 2014 will accept).

In WFC, the shortcut Alt+Delete when no segment is open will offer to turn the file into a non-segmented document (WFC won't pre-segment a file that already contains segmented chunks). Then use Tools > Translate in WFC to pre-translate it (making sure no TM is selected).

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this looks like the solution! Jan 21, 2015

Hi Samuel, yes, this looks like the magic solution I was looking for.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Paul

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
SDL Legit! Jan 21, 2015

If you can save your rtf file as a Word doc file you could use the SDL' Legit! app. See Paul Filkin's article on doing this: http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/03/15/unclean/

Ben

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ben! Jan 21, 2015

Many thanks to you too, Ben, for your suggestion! I'll look into this, too.
Best regards,
Paul

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Segment using Workbench Jan 21, 2015

Paul Malone wrote:

I do have TWB installed, but I do not have access to the Trados commands in the version of MS Word that I am using.

As you've got TWB, I'd open it, go to "Translate", add your file (or a copy, just in case), and tick the box "segment unknown sentences" . Make sure that "update document" is left unticked.

Then Studio should be able to process the file and you'll be able to export the bilingual Workbench file.

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Emma, that works too! Jan 21, 2015

Yes, thank you for your suggestion, Emma, I tried that solution and it also works fine.

The only thing is that I then have to save the file as a ".doc" file so that I can open it in Studio, the obvious solution being to save the file as an ".rtf" file after I've translated it.

Wow, did someone once say "There are no problems, only solutions" or word to that effect? I now have at least three possible solutions available to me, so I'm spoilt for choice!

Thank
... See more
Yes, thank you for your suggestion, Emma, I tried that solution and it also works fine.

The only thing is that I then have to save the file as a ".doc" file so that I can open it in Studio, the obvious solution being to save the file as an ".rtf" file after I've translated it.

Wow, did someone once say "There are no problems, only solutions" or word to that effect? I now have at least three possible solutions available to me, so I'm spoilt for choice!

Thank you all so much for your contributions and suggestions.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I produce a bilingual (uncleaned) .rtf file?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »