Trados Studio 2014 Starter - what is the use?!
Thread poster: Wouthan (X)
Wouthan (X)
Wouthan (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:22
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jan 22, 2015

Hi, I just bought the SDL Trados Studio 2014 Starter (1 year), which I learned is a scaled down version. As I knew before buying it, but I never knew to which extent it is scaled down. It seems to me that there are hardly any features available. So far, I am very dissapointed.

I am quite new to translating and planning to start as a freelancer and bye time turn professional and perhaps make it a full time job. At this point I cannot afford a full version, or rather I choose not inve
... See more
Hi, I just bought the SDL Trados Studio 2014 Starter (1 year), which I learned is a scaled down version. As I knew before buying it, but I never knew to which extent it is scaled down. It seems to me that there are hardly any features available. So far, I am very dissapointed.

I am quite new to translating and planning to start as a freelancer and bye time turn professional and perhaps make it a full time job. At this point I cannot afford a full version, or rather I choose not invest that much money, right now.
Therefor I which to learn more about THIS very version of SDL Trados Studio

Now my first question; What use is this version? I mean, MS-Word and my knowlegde would do just as good, wouldn't it? (Please tell me where I went wrong?)

Second question, Could anyone, give me a roughly and chronological explaination of to use this version, please?
I would also appreciate usefull link to tutorial and such...

(Please, do not discuss which CAT-program is better, thanks)
Collapse

Starter is Good for Project Packages Jan 22, 2015

The Starter version of Studio 2014 only really benefits translators that receive Project Packages from their clients (SDLPPX/PPX files).

The main reasons as to why, is that you are limited to the use of only 1 TM that has been restricted to only 5,000 Translation Units (entries), you have no terminology management capabilities, no access to the OpenExchange and you cannot export the translated file back to the source format, only SDLXLIFF.

Most translators find these fa
... See more
The Starter version of Studio 2014 only really benefits translators that receive Project Packages from their clients (SDLPPX/PPX files).

The main reasons as to why, is that you are limited to the use of only 1 TM that has been restricted to only 5,000 Translation Units (entries), you have no terminology management capabilities, no access to the OpenExchange and you cannot export the translated file back to the source format, only SDLXLIFF.

Most translators find these factors to limiting for standard day to day tasks, so we strongly recommend considering these restrictions before purchasing.

These restrictions do not apply to the full Freelance and Professional versions of Studio.

If you are sent a project package file, this will contain all the TM, Termbase and files to translate for that specific project, you will carry out the work, then send back the package that will contain all the progress made to your client, with no TM or Termbase development of your own.

for a full comparison table of functions between versions of Studio 2014, please see the following link to our Knowledge Base -

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4939

Hope this helps, please feel free to use our live chat service if you have require any further advice on this -

http://bit.ly/1Bh3Neb

Kind Regards,

Steve Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
?? Jan 22, 2015

SDL SteveBarlow wrote:

you cannot export the translated file back to the source format, only SDLXLIFF.

I haven't got the Starter version on my machine, but I'm pretty sure you can save a translation in the native file format.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio Starter version: good for starters Jan 22, 2015

Wouthan wrote:

What use is this version? I mean, MS-Word and my knowlegde would do just as good, wouldn't it? (Please tell me where I went wrong?)

I don't agree. With the Starter version you can learn the basics of Studio. The 5000 unit limit for a translation memory could take you months to reach. You can also create different TMs for different subject areas, and increase the limit this way (even though you can't use them simultaneously).

Not being able to create a termbase isn't so limiting to begin with. There are probably hundreds of Studio users who have the Freelance version and have never created a termbase in their life.

Allison Wright wrote an interesting guest post on my blog about why she found the Starter version useful:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/01/31/studio-starter/

Second question, Could anyone, give me a roughly and chronological explaination of to use this version, please?

I wrote a blog post on translating your very first file in Studio. I hope you find it useful:

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

It applies to the Studio Freelance version, but I think you'll find that you can follow it perfectly with the Starter version.

[Edited at 2015-01-22 14:43 GMT]

Wouthan (X)
Wouthan (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for an useful answer Jan 22, 2015

I see. I believe the starter version is too limited for me as well, but in mean time, untill I decide to the purchase a upgraded version, I take the opportunity to learn the available feature...

SDL SteveBarlow wrote:

Most translators find these factors to limiting for standard day to day tasks, so we strongly recommend considering these restrictions before purchasing.

These restrictions do not apply to the full Freelance and Professional versions of Studio.

If you are sent a project package file, this will contain all the TM, Termbase and files to translate for that specific project, you will carry out the work, then send back the package that will contain all the progress made to your client, with no TM or Termbase development of your own.

for a full comparison table of functions between versions of Studio 2014, please see the following link to our Knowledge Base -

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4939

Hope this helps, please feel free to use our live chat service if you have require any further advice on this -

http://bit.ly/1Bh3Neb

Kind Regards,

Steve Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive

No Problem - Jan 22, 2015

No problem at all Wouthan, I thought it would help you the most if I outlined all the restrictions for you and advise how you would benefit from using the Starter license with PPX files.

You can import a standard text file to translate and start to develop a Translation Memory with the Starter version, however you will soon reach the TU limit for the TM and will not be able to progress with its development.

Also the inability to export the translated file back to the
... See more
No problem at all Wouthan, I thought it would help you the most if I outlined all the restrictions for you and advise how you would benefit from using the Starter license with PPX files.

You can import a standard text file to translate and start to develop a Translation Memory with the Starter version, however you will soon reach the TU limit for the TM and will not be able to progress with its development.

Also the inability to export the translated file back to the original source format has left some users (that were unaware of the restrictions for Starter) somewhat frustrated, so I do my best to outline this to users interested in acquiring a Starter license.

Kind Regards,

Steve Barlow.

SDL Customer Experience Executive.

Wouthan wrote:

I see. I believe the starter version is too limited for me as well, but in mean time, untill I decide to the purchase a upgraded version, I take the opportunity to learn the available feature...

Collapse

RGR
RGR
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
About the inability to export the translated file back to the original source format Jun 14, 2016

Hi!

I am new to SDL Trados -- I actually don't have it, but I am thinking on acquiring the Starter version, since I mainly do literary translation. The thing is I want to learn "to trados" to complement that with small projects.

So I have read carefully this chain --still need to read Emma's links-- and would like to know what is the solution to the problem in the subject line. Does that mean that you need to find an external file converter so you can make the file conv
... See more
Hi!

I am new to SDL Trados -- I actually don't have it, but I am thinking on acquiring the Starter version, since I mainly do literary translation. The thing is I want to learn "to trados" to complement that with small projects.

So I have read carefully this chain --still need to read Emma's links-- and would like to know what is the solution to the problem in the subject line. Does that mean that you need to find an external file converter so you can make the file conversion when your are done translating in Trados?

I took a very very basic course like three years ago and I found Trados quite difficult to use, but the time has come and I cannot avoid it any longer. Any tips will be very very welcome.

Thank you!

[Edited at 2016-06-14 15:03 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 Starter - what is the use?!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »