Thread poster: Peter Sass

Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 21:17
English to German
+ ...
Jan 26, 2015

Hi there,

I've received an XML file as source file for a website translation. When opening the file in Trados Studio 2011, all the code appears as text instead of tags.

In Trados Studio, the file format is recognised as "XML: Any v 1.2.0.0".
When trying to open the file with TagEditor, there is a demand for an format definition (.ini) for 'sitecore'.

See the XML file starting with:

sitecore
phrase path="/sitecore/content (...)

I don't whether the problem is on my side (filter in Trados Studio not working properly) or whether there is something missing in the XML file (shouldn't there be a format definition or so at the beginning?), so it wasn't generated properly by the client.

I assume the latter is the case. I'd be thankful for any advice, it would even help if someone could provide me with an example of how a XML file used as source file for a website translation may look like.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-26 16:26 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
No problem here... Jan 26, 2015

... it's just XML. This could be literally anything so you have to create the filetype for it. In TagEditor it was an ini and in Studio it's a filetype. This article might help explain:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/06/01/custom-xml/

If you don't create a custom filetype then the AnyXML is ofetn used. This will handle simple XML most of the time, but it can't possibly handle everything as the permutations are too many and the names for elements and attributes could be anything in addition to there being specific rules around what's ytranslatable and what's not.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2015-01-26 15:13 GMT]

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul - Does this mean.. Jan 26, 2015

..that for any more complex XML file you need to create a custom xml filetype in Trados Studio?

I may look into how this is done, but I'm rather wary as this is such a large project, so any mistake I make in preparing the translation file might lead to horrendous back conversion problems (from SDLXLIFF to XML) I guess.

Isn't there a better way to approach website translation? Couldn't I rather ask for another file format from the client, e.g. any DTP files used for creating the website or so?

I'm a complete newbie to the technical behind-the-scenes aspects of website translation projects, I'm afraid...

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This depends on the CMS used by the website Jan 26, 2015

Peter Sass wrote:

Isn't there a better way to approach website translation? Couldn't I rather ask for another file format from the client, e.g. any DTP files used for creating the website or so?

I'm a complete newbie to the technical behind-the-scenes aspects of website translation projects, I'm afraid...

Peter

The approach to translating website content depends a lot on the software that is used for the website. If it is CMS (Content Management System)-based, your customer can export the content in an exchangeable format, such as XML, which probably is your case. This is usually the best approach, because it allows to easily reimport the translated content without additional manual work.
However, this requires that you receive an XML definition (in the form of a DTD or a schema), because XML is just a standard and no two XML files are equal. This definition will allow you to create the XML filetype in Studio. If you can't get any definition from your client, you may try to create the filetype based on the XML file itself, which is already better than using the "Any XML" because this will extract all elements from the XML. You may then simply need to adapt it to indicate which elements are translatable and which ones are not.

Walter

United Kingdom
English
This is unlikely to be your issue... Jan 26, 2015

Peter Sass wrote:

.... might lead to horrendous back conversion problems (from SDLXLIFF to XML) I guess.

If you don't create a filetype to match your specific XML then you could have completely incorrect wordcounts, you could translate things you should not, or not translate things you should. These could lead to problems for your client, but you should still be able to get them out of Studio alright.

I'd take Walters advice... create the filetype to suit the job. This is what handling XML is all about. If you get stuck there are plenty of people here to help!

Regards

Paul

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Walter Jan 26, 2015

Your advice gave me the important clue.
Rather than having to manually produce a filetype definition in Studio, I'd rather go for the DTD that I've requested from the client now.
You're right, they've probably used a CMS (probably Sitecore, as this appears as the root element in the xml) and exported the xml from there.
I just hope that it will be easy to arrive at the filetype definition on the basis of the DTD (or can the latter be used as such?)..

Thanks to both you and Paul and have a nice evening,

Peter

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-27 12:04 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Using the DTD... Jan 26, 2015

... still means you need a custom filetype Peter. This just gives you the definition and saves you having to work it out yourself based on the contents of the XML file.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation: XML file in Trados Studio only contains code text no tags

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search