How to create translation memory in SDL Trados 2014?
Thread poster: Masoud Kakoli

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 04:32
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Jan 29, 2015

I am relatively new to SDL. As a consequence, I have no translation memory. How can I create translation memory in SDL Trados 2014? I have been told that one can create translation memory both in the beginning of translation and at the end of translation. Can you advise me these two procedures?

[Edited at 2015-01-29 08:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-01-29 09:01 GMT]


 

Micol Barbierato  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
Creating a TM in Trados Studio Jan 29, 2015

Hi Masoud, there are different ways to create a TM in SDL Trados. Here you can find some very useful and clear instructions on how to create a TM and also how to work with multiple Tms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJzaa-pzAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unrbND4x4fU

Please note that you need to create your TM BEFORE starting your translation… also, working without a TM wouldn't make much sense, and would defeat the purpose of working with a CAT tool, don't you think?

I also advise you to keep all your TMs in one place, this is a very good practice.

Hope this helps!icon_smile.gif

Cheers,
Micol


 

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 04:32
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation memory after translation Jan 29, 2015

Micol Barbierato wrote:

Hi Masoud, there are different ways to create a TM in SDL Trados. Here you can find some very useful and clear instructions on how to create a TM and also how to work with multiple Tms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJzaa-pzAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unrbND4x4fU

Please note that you need to create your TM BEFORE starting your translation… also, working without a TM wouldn't make much sense, and would defeat the purpose of working with a CAT tool, don't you think?

I also advise you to keep all your TMs in one place, this is a very good practice.

Hope this helps!icon_smile.gif

Cheers,
Micol


Thanks. I know that it is unfruitful to use SDL without translation memory. It's clear as crystal. But, I can clearly remember that one told me it is possible to create a translation memory after translation. Let's see if anyone knows something about it.


Altanbayar Aldar
 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:02
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Creating TMs Jan 29, 2015

You can create a TM at any time and populate it later by updating the TM with the translations from a completed project.

Maybe it's a good idea to consult the Quick Start guides that come with the software. Many basic questions of this kind will be answered there.


 

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 04:32
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to populate later? Jan 29, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

You can create a TM at any time and populate it later by updating the TM with the translations from a completed project.

Maybe it's a good idea to consult the Quick Start guides that come with the software. Many basic questions of this kind will be answered there.


How can I populate it later?


 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:02
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How to import an SDLXLIFF file into a TM Jan 29, 2015

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

How can I populate it later?


Check out the last paragraph in this blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/


 

Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:02
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Translation Memory Jul 14, 2016

I want to have one TM that I'll be adding to with each translation.

Does the translation memory increase vertically- do the numbers of the segments keep increasing. Or does it increase horizontally?

I was expecting the former. However, after importing a couple of bilingual files I can see that the number of tabs is increasing on my main TM (horizontally).

Is this normal?

Thanks!


 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:02
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Increasing tabs Jul 14, 2016

Swaiyam wrote:

after importing a couple of bilingual files I can see that the number of tabs is increasing on my main TM (horizontally).


Please can you post a screenshot of this?
I'm not sure what you mean.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create translation memory in SDL Trados 2014?

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search