Can I open files exported for review in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2015

A client has sent me those new 'bilingual' files for review, instead of sdlxliff files.

The ones that look like Word files with a table, source on left, target on right, and pretty colours telling you about matches and fuzzies.

There are a lot of repeats, and it would really be great if I could open them in Studio 2014 and review them from there.
Either as a new project or as an addition to an earlier one.
I have done some work for the same client, and they wanted me to proofread a colleague's work, as I did not have time to take the next job myself.

So I have the TM or could make a new one.

I have occasionally exported files like this for review, but never imported them.
The current ones are not files I have created, although they carry on from the earlier project.

Am I making sense, and is it possible?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
IMO, only Update from External Review... Feb 2, 2015

...file you got, as is, in case they give you package that other translator worked in. Then, you could work with track changes. And upon completing, make again Export for External Review, which would have track changes you've made.

I've tried what you wanted on a small project I had. I've created a new project. Turned off track changes this file has on, for some reason had to save .docx as .doc, and complete file opened in source. Upon adding TM, you could turn on track changes in .sdlxliff, and make corrections, only in segments where source language is. After completing, you can save it again as Export for External Review.

However, they could not use this file to import in their package.

Usual procedure is to work in file you got, then translator imports it in .sdlxliff file, and accepts all or some changes, some changes rejects, giving explanation.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:12
French to German
+ ...
External review is meant for reviewers that don't have Studio Feb 3, 2015

Christine

The file your received has been created using the function "Export for external review". This function is intended for sending documents to be reviewed to reviewers who don't use Studio, so they can review the document in Word and send it back, so that it can be reimported into Studio.

If you own Studio, ask your client to send you a project package, this will be the correct way to handle this and easier for both of you.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I open files exported for review in Studio 2014?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search