Updating from SDL Trados 2009 to 2011 still possible?
Thread poster: Jonas_Je

Jonas_Je
Local time: 16:13
English to German
+ ...
Feb 2, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I am still using SDL Trados 2009 Freelance and I am satisfied with it. However, I notice from time to time that there a small compatibility problems when clients create packages in 2011 and save them in 2009 format for me. Sometimes I cannot create target documents, which is presumably due to the different format.

Is there any possibility to upgrade from 2009 to 2011? The only offer I find on SDL's page is an upgrade from 2009 Freelance to 2014 Freelance which costs 345 euros. Considering the fact that 2009 is still sufficient to translate about 90% of all texts that I receive, this is a real investment, and up to now, SDL Trados 2011 would surely work in 100% of all cases.

So is there any alternative respectively any chance to get a cheaper upgrade to SDL Trados 2011? Group buys including a whole new version of 2014 freelance instead of an upgrade isn't a better idea, since it would cost more than 340 euros as well.

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I don't think so Feb 2, 2015

As far as I understand, they only offer updates to their latest version. 2009 isn't supported anymore.

2009 Upgrades Still Available. Feb 3, 2015

Hi Jonas,

Robert is correct, we have ceased support for Studio 2009. Although for a limited time, we are still offering the opportunity to upgrade to Studio 2014 from this.

Unfortunately, we can no longer provide 2011 licenses. However with Studio 2014 you will be fully compatible with 2011 projects and users of 2011 will be fully compatible with you.

You can purchase an upgrade from our web shop at the following link -

http://www.translationzone.com/shop/freelance-translator/

If you require any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us direct via our live chat service -

http://bit.ly/1yzmTJm

Kind Regards,

Steve Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive

[Edited at 2015-02-03 09:03 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Upgrades are only available to he most current version Feb 3, 2015

Jonas

Upgrades are always offered only to the most current version. Once a new version has been launched, you can’t buy the previous version anymore, whether as an upgrade nor as a full version.

This is more or less standard policy, not only for SDL but also for other software editors. An an example, once Windows 8 was on the market, you could not buy any Windows 7 anymore (or only for a very limited timeframe).

On the other hand: why you would want to buy an upgrade to a version that is not the most current? This would not make much sense, as you would face the same problem again for the next version.

Concerning the price: it depends on how many versions you skip. The price you mention is for going from 2009 to 2014, if you had bought the upgrade from 2009 t 2011, it would have been cheaper.

My best suggestion is that you purchase a Product Support and maintenance agreement, this is the cheapest way for freelancers to (1) receive support from SDL and (2) receive the new versions free of charge. And this will cost you less than 200 euros a year (it is always 20% of the value of the licensed SW).

In the end, this is cheaper than buying the upgrades separately … and in addition you get support, which you will not have otherwise.

Walter

Jonas_Je
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot to everyone. Feb 3, 2015

Thanks a lot to everyone.

@Steve: Do you already know how long it will be possible to upgrade from SDL Trados 2009 to 2014?

@Werner: It is still possible to buy a Windows 7 licence via download or at least on CD (for example via Amazon), and compared with Windows 8, it is much cheaper, the same holds true for example for lower MS Office versions. That is why I just wanted to make sure if there isn't an option to buy a Trados 2011 licence. On the one hand, you are right... it would make more sense to upgrade directly to Trados 2014.

On the other hand, 345 euros is a high price for someone who's mainly working for translation agencies and given the fact that more than 90% of all texts or packages I receive can still be handled in lower Trados versions. So far, Trados 2011 would be absolutely sufficient. Moreover, I will probably change to another industry this year, which means that translations will become a part-time job for me in the future. So I have to think hard about it before making a decision. But thanks again!

2009 Upgrades Still Available. Feb 3, 2015

Hi Jonas,

Officially support ended for Studio 2009 last year, unfortunately I do not know how long upgrades from Studio 2009 to Studio 2014 will be available for.

Kind Regards,

Steven Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating from SDL Trados 2009 to 2011 still possible?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search