Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Spell check a Translation Memory
Thread poster: Ben Senior

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:03
German to English
Feb 3, 2015

I've been sent a TMX Translation Memory which I intend to use in Studio 2014 SP2. Is there a way I can spell check the content of the Target segments (English GB) before I start using the TM. As yet I've not imported the TMX into a SDLTM, just in case I need to do something before importing the TMX.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Ben

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:03
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Heartsome TMX Editor could be the way Feb 3, 2015

I would convert the TMX to bilingual docx, spell check it in Word, and then convert it back to TMX

Heartsome is now free and open source:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3B6F5EB26A597875&id=3B6F5EB26A597875!134&authkey=!AAwlyGd0lyFiGYQ

Saludos

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's worth a try Feb 3, 2015

Jorge, I will have a look at it and get back.

Thank you.

Ben

_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
File Type Definition for TMX Feb 3, 2015

Funnily enough, that same question came up in my office today. There's an FTD for TMX files available over at Open Exchange:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/filetypedefinitionfortmx-499.html#51793

I only did a quick test, but it looks like it's just the tool for the job. You can open your TMX in the editor view, run a spell-check, QA check, the whole shebang.

The description says the FTD is designed for TMX files created with Studio. I also made a quick project with a TMX created with Olifant and it did just fine.

I'm also curious about Heartsome now. I'll have to look into that when I get a chance.

Stephan

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Keep in mind the size limitation Feb 3, 2015

Stephan

Doing this spell check and other QA in Studio's Editor is obviously tempting and interesting, the problem is Studio's Editor cannot cope with large files. So, if you have a big TM, you will not even be able to load the TMX into the Editor; it will crash before having read the entire file.

Olifant on the other hand can handle such very big files, but it does not have a spell-check.

For bigger projects, we also have the professional QA tools such as ErrorSpy, Verifika , QA Distiller, to name only a few of them.

Walter

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 02:03
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
CafeTran Feb 4, 2015

It looks like a task for CafeTran. I hope one of the CafeTran gurus will reply here even with images.

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Not a guru... Feb 4, 2015

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
It looks like a task for CafeTran. I hope one of the CafeTran gurus will reply here even with images.

Your wish is my command.

TMX%20spelling.png

As long as you have enough RAM, the size of the TMX file isn't important. As far as I know, you can edit TMX files without restrictions with the trial version (for 30 days): http://www.cafetran.republika.pl/download.html
If necessary, ask one of the gurus "How to," or ask Selçuk or me.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TMXEditor? No. Feb 4, 2015

Jorge Payan wrote:
Heartsome TMX Editor could be the way

It's not, to my surprise. I just checked. It's a nice editor, but it doesn't let you perform a spelling check.

Cheers,

Hans

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Xbench Feb 4, 2015

I'd use Xbench to spell check a tmx. http://www.xbench.net/
The free version, 2.9 will do it fine.

If you buy version 3, it integrates with Studio via a plug-in, which is very convenient, but not necessary for spell checking a tmx.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
LanguageTool + CheckMate Feb 4, 2015

A TMX file can be checked with Okapi CheckMate + LanguageTool (standalone build running in server mode). Read here: Checking Translations or Bilingual Texts.

Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:03
German to English
+ ...
Out of curiosity... Feb 4, 2015

What's the point in doing this? Surely, you're going to spellcheck any translation you do using the TM so you would catch any typos at that stage and correct the segments you actually use. This way, you may spend hours spellchecking tens of thousands of TM segments that sit unused in the TM for the next 10 years.

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful comments, thanks Feb 4, 2015

Thanks to everybody for all your very useful comments, I'm sure at least one of them will fit the bill admirably.

A slight sidestep from the original question, is it possible to spell check an SDLTM, target segments? When so many other applications have the capability of spell checking, why not SDL Studio?

Ben

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Studio just doesn't spellcheck... Feb 4, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

A slight sidestep from the original question, is it possible to spell check an SDLTM, target segments? When so many other applications have the capability of spell checking, why not SDL Studio?

... the SDLTM. But there are ways to handle it. If the TMX is huge I would do this:

1. Convert the TMX to an SDLTM (upgrade route)
  2. Split the SDLTM into bite sized XLIFF/TMX files using the SDL TmConvert app
  3. Create a project in Studio with these files
  4. Add the SDLTM and work through the checking

It's not much additional work and you'll be able to use all the Studio tools for QA including Grammar and checking which might be better.

Regards

Paul

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now we have all angles covered Feb 4, 2015

Thanks for that Paul.

It's required so seldom, but at the same time good to know that supplied TMs can be checked, if necessary. In all my years working with Trados and later Studio I have never needed to spell check a TM before and who knows when the next one will come along.

Cheers

Ben

_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Just what exactly is a "reasonably sized" TM? Feb 4, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Doing this spell check and other QA in Studio's Editor is obviously tempting and interesting, the problem is Studio's Editor cannot cope with large files. So, if you have a big TM, you will not even be able to load the TMX into the Editor; it will crash before having read the entire file.

There had to be a catch, hadn't there. I remember Studio white-screened on me a couple times when I tried to open huge source files. Now that you mention it, it also says on Open Exchange that the filter works best with "reasonably sized TMX files". Just how many TUs are reasonable? I'm juggling TMs with hundreds of thousands of TUs; that's obviously a bit much. Still I'm curious exactly when Studio will begin to struggle. If such a number can even be determined; I suppose this might depend on a lot of factors.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell check a Translation Memory

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search