How to automatically insert tags from source when TM has no tags?
Thread poster: David Boelen

David Boelen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:02
Member (Aug 2018)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 4, 2015

In Studio, I want to translate an IDML file, which has a lot of tags. The actual text has already been translated and is present in the TM, but there are no tags in the TM (text only). How can I pretranslate this file with the TM, with the tags inserted into the target segments in those cases where the only difference is the formatting (tags), so with a -2% penalty? Thanks.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Probably have to do so manually Feb 4, 2015

The way I would do this, would be to place the cursor where the tags should be, and hit ctr+comma. Then I choose the right tag in the drop down list and hit Enter. I doubt you can automate this process, and anyway, you then have full control of the result.

But perhaps someone has an easier way so that the tags are entered automatically through a pretranslate process. My (short) experience seems to indicate that this, regretably, is not the case, though.

France
Member (Aug 2018)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl + komma and Ctrl + period Feb 4, 2015

Thanks. I use Ctrl + komma and Ctrl + period to add the starting tag and the closing (ghost) tag.
Another way to do it is to select the text in the target segment that will have to be surrounded by the tags and then hold the Ctrl key and using you mouse pointing and clicking on the source tag(s) that you want to insert.

That's the manual way. I was wondering if there was an automated way, as the only difference is the tagging, whereas the text is 100% OK in the TM, but the TM has no tags at all.

Anyone?
Thanks.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 16:31 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Automating this may be a challenge Feb 6, 2015

Just looking at the scenario you describe, it is tempting to find a way to automate this because, as you say, the only difference between source and target resides in the tags.

However, after some more reflection, one may realise that it is nearly impossible to automate this, for one simple reason: how should the system know where the formatting tags that are present in the source need to be placed in the target text?

It may only work in the cases where the tags surround the entire text, but not when there are several pairs of tags inside the text.

Walter

France
Member (Aug 2018)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Walter Feb 9, 2015

I guess you're right, it can only be feasible with tags that surround the whole segment.
Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to automatically insert tags from source when TM has no tags?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search