Thread poster: viking modena

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:39
Member (2012)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Feb 4, 2015

Can you suggest a smart way to have the system not to break up and make two segments when it meets words such as "fig." or "e.g.", and I want this to apply for "all" languages I work with and "all" TM's.

I can merge these broken segments, but it can take a huge amount of time (in particularly in a heavy manual of e.g. 200 pages with lots of "fig." broken sentences).

There should be a way. SDL online support talks about "language resource", I've found such an item in my version 11, but it doesn't give me any further alternatives to fill in. = Must be somewhere else.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:39
French to English
+ ...
Add to abbreviation list Feb 4, 2015

You can add abbreviations to the list in the TM settings.

1) Go into the TM settings
2) Go to Language Resources
3) Double click on Abbreviation List
4) Scroll to the bottom of the list
5) Double-click in the blank space at the bottom
6) Type your abbreviation (including full stops)
7) Press enter

Repeat as desired.

If you then re-run the preparation on your document, to re-segment it, it will not segment where it finds "fig." or "e.g." (or anything else you add).

viking modena  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK! Feb 5, 2015

Thank you. I've now found the resource you mention. And.... "fig." was already in there, but my customer used "Fig." and Studio could not understand it was the same word!

Though, it would have been nice to do it once for "all" TM's and not only for a TM at a time, but better than nothing.

Luca

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
"SDLTM Variables Manager" might helps… Feb 5, 2015

viking modena wrote:

Though, it would have been nice to do it once for "all" TM's and not only for a TM at a time, but better than nothing.

Luca

There is and OpenExchange app called SDLTM Variables Manager that can help you here: to export the variables from a TM to a file, and then import this file exported to the TM's you wish. It's still a one to one TM process, but it can speed up the process and make it easier!

BTW: this app is free!

... Jesús Prieto ...

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The OX app only works for variables but not for abbreviations Feb 6, 2015

Hi Jesus

AFAIK, the OX app you mention will not help transfer abbreviations from one TM to another. It only does this for the "variables".

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation due to abbreviations

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search