When confirming a segment in the Editor, I am directed to the sdl.kb or translationzone websites
Thread poster: Racero

Racero
Local time: 18:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2015

Hello everybody,
After working with Studio 2009 for a few years, I recently upgraded to TRADOS Studio 2014 (OS: Windows 7 Professional). In general, I am very pleased with it so far, but I am having a little issue that is becoming very annoying and frustrating.

Here it is: after confirming a segment in the Editor (with Ctrl + Alt + Enter), one of three things can happen:

1.- the shortcut letter fo the menus appear in the top option/menu ribbon, and when I start writing the translation for the segment I am in, nothing is being entered because the system is waiting for me to select one of the shortcuts (obviously, I am not looking at the ribbon when I start typing so I only realise about the shortcut letters when I don't see the letters I am typing),

2.- I am directed to the sdl.kb or the sdl translationzone websites (maybe this is because the letters I have pressed match the shortcut for the sdl website and I am taken there).

3.- it works ok (but this is the least common)

As you can appreciate this really slows me down, not to mention how frustrating it is. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is frequent enough to become a nuisance, every day.

I have searched the help and browsed the Internet, but I cannot seem to find anything about this. I have sent a support ticket to SDL, but since I don't have a PSMA, I am not sure if they will get back to me or not, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue.

If you can shed some light on it, I will be very grateful.
Thanks in advance for any tips.

Toni

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
customise shortcut Feb 6, 2015

It seems you're pressing the Alt key on its own and bringing up the ribbon shortcuts, which take you to the sdl website.

If you have a European keyboard, try using AltGr+Enter instead of Ctrl+Alt+Enter.

If that doesn't work, then customise the shortcut with a key combination that doesn't cause any conflicts.

Racero
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
customise shortcut Feb 6, 2015

Thanks for your suggestion, Emma.

Using the key combination AltGr + Enter wouldn't work for me as they are both in the right hand side of the keyboard and I can't reach them both at the same time.

But you may be onto something, I think the Alt key in my keyboard might be faulty.
I am working on a project where most of the text is new, which means I don't need to use the "Confirm and Move to Next Segment" (Ctrl + Alt +Enter), but only the "Confirm and Move to Next Unconfirmed Segment" (Ctrl + Enter) and I am noticing that the problem is not happening.

I will observe this and maybe try with a different keyboard later on, see what happens.
I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, the sdl support team got back to me. Here is what they said:

1.- If you are using the keyboard shortcuts, please try to reset them by going to File->Options->Keyboard shortcuts and in the bottom left side of the window click on "Reset to Defaults"

2.- If this does not work, then you probably have corrupt user-profile files, or global Windows shortcuts that override Studio shortcuts. We might need to schedule a WebEx in order to investigate.

I have implemented the first solution, and although it seemed to improve things for a few minutes, it hasn't really solved the problem.
I will update the post with any new developments.
Thank you!

Racero
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issue sorted Feb 11, 2015

Dear All,
as promised, here's the update on this issue.

I have just been on a WebEx session with the sdl support team and, basically, we have found out that it was me causing the issue.

Reason: I am too fast at the keyboard and there are times when a minimal difference in pressing the keys (namely pressing the Alt key just milliseconds before the Ctrl key) makes the shortcuts to activate.

Solution: I have to type at a slower pace.

I'm glad this was nothing major, although it's going to be difficult to slow down my fingersicon_frown.gif

Thank you!
Toni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When confirming a segment in the Editor, I am directed to the sdl.kb or translationzone websites

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search