MS Excel - length verification with Trados Studio 2014
Thread poster: Diego Caldognetto
Diego Caldognetto
Diego Caldognetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:06
Italian
Feb 6, 2015

I need to translate a 2 column Excel file (column A and column B).

Max length for column A must be 25 chars.
Cells in column B have no length limits.

How can I let QA Checker 3.0 verify just column A?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Shouldn't be too hard... Feb 6, 2015

... before you create your project make sure that the way the cells are brought into Studio is by column. I struggled to load images today the way I normally do it as it's not working for some reason... so did a quick video instead!

http://youtu.be/JetYbmubKEM

Regards

Paul

Diego Caldognetto
Diego Caldognetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian
TOPIC STARTER
This is not exactly what I need... Feb 9, 2015

Thank you Paul for your excellent video. Your solution is interesting and very smart, but it is a final check.

I would like Studio to check during translation, as for any other warning types, not at the end of the entire translation process.

I wander whether Trados can apply different cell limits according, for example, to font colour or other properties. If so, I could highlight in red one column. Or apply a special formatting...

Thank you again
Dieg
... See more
Thank you Paul for your excellent video. Your solution is interesting and very smart, but it is a final check.

I would like Studio to check during translation, as for any other warning types, not at the end of the entire translation process.

I wander whether Trados can apply different cell limits according, for example, to font colour or other properties. If so, I could highlight in red one column. Or apply a special formatting...

Thank you again
Diego
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not with Excel... Feb 9, 2015

... but you can do this with XML. So it's really going to be a QA project for afterwards. I will suggest this as an additional feature for the future though as I can see how it would be useful for some files... not a very common usecase (in my experience) but it certainly makes sense.

You could however translate the first column this way, then change the length restriction in the Project Settings for the next etc etc. So this would allow you to do the checks interactively too.... See more
... but you can do this with XML. So it's really going to be a QA project for afterwards. I will suggest this as an additional feature for the future though as I can see how it would be useful for some files... not a very common usecase (in my experience) but it certainly makes sense.

You could however translate the first column this way, then change the length restriction in the Project Settings for the next etc etc. So this would allow you to do the checks interactively too.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2015-02-09 22:26 GMT]
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I would try a different work around Feb 10, 2015

Sometimes I have large Excel files to translate in which there is a lot of stuff and I just have to translate say column E and put it into column F but leave everything else alone. If I just take in the Excel file as is, I get some incredible word counts so I simply copy and paste the column I need to translate into another Excel file and translate that one. Then when everything has been completed and the final translated exported (in the one column Excel file), I copy and paste that column wher... See more
Sometimes I have large Excel files to translate in which there is a lot of stuff and I just have to translate say column E and put it into column F but leave everything else alone. If I just take in the Excel file as is, I get some incredible word counts so I simply copy and paste the column I need to translate into another Excel file and translate that one. Then when everything has been completed and the final translated exported (in the one column Excel file), I copy and paste that column where it needs to go.

So, in your case you could copy one column into one file and the other in another file and then put it back together after completion by overwriting the individual columns in the original file. Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.

Hope this helps
Eileen
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You may also hide the columns you don't need Feb 11, 2015

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

.. I simply copy and paste the column I need to translate into another Excel file and translate that one.

Eileen

You don't need to do this because Studio by default does not translate hidden columns (or rows). So, simply hide the respective columns in your Excel before you open it in Studio. Once you have the translated target file, open it in Excel and unhide the columns again.
No need to copy-paste and create a second copy.
Walter

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Thanks Walter Feb 16, 2015

I didn't know that. Shows how little I work with Excel
Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Excel - length verification with Trados Studio 2014

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »