Can I transfer terminologies from another software into SDL Trados?
Thread poster: Masoud Kakoli

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 17:03
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Feb 7, 2015

Hi,

I think there are a few terminology management softwares which one of the famous ones is SDL MutliTerm, if not the most famous one. Since I'm going to create a terminology database for myself and I'm not going to use SDL MutliTerm for some reasons, I'd like to know can I create a terminology database in another software other than SDL MultiTerm and then convert and transfer it into SDL Trados? Please note that at the end of the day I am going to use this database in SDL Trados but as far as I cannot create one in MultiTerm, I'd like to create it in another software and then use it in SDL Trados. What is your suggestion? What is the best replacement for this software?

[Edited at 2015-02-07 21:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-07 21:18 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
English
Why don't you wish... Feb 8, 2015

... to create it with MultiTerm in the first place. If you have a legitimate copy of Studio then you will also have MultiTerm thrown in. No reason to look for workarounds.

Regards

Paul

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sanctions Feb 8, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

... to create it with MultiTerm in the first place. If you have a legitimate copy of Studio then you will also have MultiTerm thrown in. No reason to look for workarounds.

Regards

Paul

Simply, because I live Iran. There are many sanctions against my country and we don't have extensive access to every software that we want on the Internet.

United Kingdom
English
So where... Feb 8, 2015

... did you get your copy of SDL Trados Studio from?

Regards

Paul

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trial version Feb 8, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

... did you get your copy of SDL Trados Studio from?

Regards

Paul

This is just the trial version.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:33
Finnish to French
Sample termbase available Feb 8, 2015

Masoud Kakoli wrote:
This is just the trial version.

OK, this is why you don't have MultiTerm. You may want to have a look at this post on Paul's blog:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/01/30/imrthtl/

It contains a sample termbase with a number of languages, including Farsi.

United Kingdom
English
That would work... Feb 8, 2015

... of course. But if you like just send me an email with your requirements for the structure of your termbase and I'll create an empty one for you. Then you can use that and it will be more specific to what you need.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adding terms later Feb 8, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

... of course. But if you like just send me an email with your requirements for the structure of your termbase and I'll create an empty one for you. Then you can use that and it will be more specific to what you need.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Thanks Paul!
I would like to offer you my heart-felt gratitude for your suggestion. That's your kindness. But, I have one important question to ask you before sending you an email. If you create a termbase for me, can I myself add new terms to this termbase via SDL Trados?

United Kingdom
English
Yes... Feb 8, 2015

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

If you create a termbase for me, can I myself add new terms to this termbase via SDL Trados?

... you will be able to do this.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I transfer terminologies from another software into SDL Trados?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search