Problem importing edited "saved target file"
Thread poster: bethkatek

bethkatek  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
German to English
Feb 10, 2015

I am using Studio 2014 and am somewhat new to this. I also have newly set up Microsoft Office 2013.

When I have finished my translation and save-target-as so that I have a nice clean Word document to proofread, I can't seem to import the edited version back into Studio.

What I do:
With my sdlxliff file open in editor, I then click Batch Tasks/Update from External Review and work through until I can Add my document in the Review Document column. When I finish, I get an error message that makes me unsure whether there is something wrong with the document itself or whether regular Word files, as opposed to exported bilingual files, maybe just cannot be used?

"Unexpected exception when configuring file multiFileConverter for task 'Update from External Review': file contains corrupted data..

I went back and deleted all comments and resaved the file, and the error still occurs.

Which is mostly likely?:

I can't import a regular Word document, but only a bilingual review file?

or

I can import the Word file, but this one in particular has somehow been corrupted?

Embarrassingly, I have been using Studio for over a year now and have just been avoiding the issue by translating and then finishing everything in the Word document, which then goes back to my employer. I always end up with the Final version as a Word file that can't be imported, and my TMs can therefore not be updated unless I do it line by line manually...

I would be grateful for any help you can offer - or for a tip to another thread explaining this that I might have missed! I have tried all kinds of search terms and have had no luck finding a solution. I would think this might be a common problem though, so I'm sure there is an answer out there somewhere.

[Edited at 2015-02-11 03:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:58
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Export for external review Feb 11, 2015

bethkatek wrote:

I can't import a regular Word document, but only a bilingual review file?

That's right. If you want to proofread in Word, you need to use "Export for external review", not "save target as". That way you can get the bilingual document back into Studio.

However, "Export for external review" is usually used when you want to send the document to someone who doesn't have Studio, so that they can proofread the file and you can update the STudio version afterwards. Also, this method doesn't give you a formatted target version - just a bilingual table.

If you want to proofread in Word, you could use the live preview feature in Studio (although if you have Word 2013 this feature may not work properly).

Another option is to "save target as", read in Word, and keep Studio open and make the changes there instead of in Word.

I use the last option.

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 11, 2015

Hello Emma,

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom! It's interesting (and frustrating) to work with this really powerful and helpful tool. The more I use it, the more I see that I do not know about it. And the same goes for reading in the forums (and my new manual), trying to find answers. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your assistance

Beth

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Preview feature does not work Feb 11, 2015

Well, you were right in your hunch that the feature does not work with Office 2013. I wonder how long it takes for that sort of fix to become available...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem importing edited "saved target file"

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search